Two Sun-Times Articles

greasywheels121

If fans come out, Sox will build

January 24, 2004

BY TONI GINNETTI Staff Reporter Advertisement

White Sox general manager Ken Williams doesn't anticipate any major acquisitions before spring training, but he isn't discouraged about the team he expects to field.

Adding to that team, though, could depend on fan support, he warned.

''We're at the brink,'' Williams said Friday at a news conference to introduce newly signed Japanese closer Shingo Takatsu. "I desperately wanted to win last year to have a carry-over effect [on attendance]. It didn't happen. Hopefully, people will come out so we'll have a chance in June and July to add.''

"Jerry [Reinsdorf, team chairman] wants the best team we can put on the field,'' Williams said, defending the team's estimated $60 million salary limit. "He's never run the organization for the profit. It's a break-even thing. That's why I believe if we can stay close in the first half, I don't foresee any issues of us not going out and trying to make moves as we did last year.''

The Sox have lost several players from last season's team, notably starter Bartolo Colon, after finishing second to Minnesota. The Twins also have had some roster turnover, but the Kansas City Royals, who finished third in the division, have added players and will be considered a continuing threat.

"Does it sting that we lost a couple guys? Absolutely. But I'm happy we've retained more than half our roster,'' Williams said. "The first half of our season will be the most difficult.

"Over the years, we've been picked as the favorites on paper. I don't mind this year maybe taking a back seat and sneaking up and being overachievers.''

Williams acknowledged the team's strength will be its bullpen, augmented again with the addition of Takatsu, 35, the first Japanese player signed in Chicago and Japan's all-time saves leader. Takatsu signed his one-year, $1 million contract Friday in front of the media and declared to Sox fans, "I want to make you happy.''

"This is my field of dreams,'' he added in English. Through an interpreter, Takatsu said he wanted to pitch in the major leagues after becoming a free agent from the Yakult Swallows, the team he had pitched for during the last 13 seasons. "He understands his playing days are nearing an end,'' interpreter Atsu Tatsuki said.

But Williams touted the slender right-hander's ability, comparing him to Scott Sullivan as someone who can retire both left-handers and right-handers.

"This guy can pitch,'' Williams said.

The addition of Takatsu gives the Sox three potential closers. Billy Koch and Damaso Marte are the others.

"It will be Ozzie's call,'' Williams said of new manager Ozzie Guillen, who has seen Takatsu only on tape. "All I did was explain the situation, that obviously I traded for a guy two years ago [Koch] who has had tremendous success [before last season], and I didn't have to explain much because Billy's agent is part of the group with Joe Urbon [Takatsu's agent.]

"He understands that if Billy bounces back, he'll have a big advantage,'' Williams said, with Takatsu in a setup role.

Urbon said Takatsu chose the Sox over two teams -- believed to be the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees -- "for the opportunity, the city and the chance to play with a winner.''

The Sox agreed to sign Takatsu after new player development director David Wilder watched him work out and after Williams studied him on tape.

With their SoxFest convention a week away, Williams said he has not spoken to Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez, who was said to be involved in trade talks as part of the Alex Rodriguez-Nomar Garciaparra deal that never evolved.

"Mags is a consummate professional, and whether there was speculation of him being moved, I expect nothing but professionalism from him,'' Williams said.

Asked if he was concerned that he and Guillen have not spoken to Thomas, Williams shrugged.

"We'll just wait and see,'' Williams said. "Hopefully, he'll show up to spring training ready to go.''

If fans come out, Sox will build

Japanese fans loving Sox after Takatsu signing

January 24, 2004

BY MAUDLYNE IHEJIRIKA Staff Reporter Advertisement

Dominicans were ecstatic when Sammy Sosa got hot. Now, it's the Japanese's turn.

''I am very, very proud of him,'' Keishi Asai, 11, of Elk Grove, said about his hero, Shingo Takatsu, a relief pitcher and the first Japanese-born player signed by the White Sox.

''I love baseball, and now there is one of our own playing for my favorite Chicago team. I can't wait.''

From the elementary-school students at Chicago Futabakai Japanese Day School in Arlington Heights to Japan's Consul General in Chicago, the area's Japanese and Japanese-American communities were puffed up Friday as the Sox introduced Takatsu, 35, who signed a one-year, $1 million deal.

With 260 saves in 13 seasons with the Yakult Swallows, Takatsu is Japan's all-time saves leader, and he just made the game a little more interesting for Japanese baseball fans. Takatsu is a hot topic even among non-fans.

''As Consul General, it was my dream to have Japanese players in Chicago, and my dream has come true,'' said Mitsuo Sakaba of the Japanese consulate, a die-hard baseball fan since his club-team days as a child in Japan.

''For the area's 7,000 Japanese and 20,000 Japanese-Americans, Mr. Takatsu's signing by the Sox is epoch-making. It's a happy day. I shall support with much stronger enthusiasm White Sox games.''

Takatsu's arrival in Chicago on Thursday marked the end of a spectacular 13-year career in Japan, where he ranks as one of the greatest relief pitchers in his country's history.

It also is the realization of the right-hander's dream of competing in the major leagues, many in the Japanese and Japanese-American communities said.

''We are all excited about getting our No. 1 saves pitcher to Chicago,'' said Arnie Hayakawa, administrator of the Futabakai Day School.

Exchange student Koichi Iwama, 27, said although his host family in Oak Park roots for the Cubs, he might have to switch allegiances.

As for Mathew Mans, 12, of Glencoe, who is a pitcher and catcher on his Little League team, he now has an idol.

''In Japan, he's really very good,'' Mans said. ''It's really cool that he's in Chicago now.''

Japanese fans loving Sox after Takatsu signing

"Jerry [Reinsdorf, team chairman] wants the best team we can put on the field,'' Williams said, defending the team's estimated $60 million salary limit. "He's never run the organization for the profit. It's a break-even thing.

There you go people, proof positive! :rolleyes:

This move could actually help attendance a little bit, with all the Japenese in the area. Is there a Japenese neighborhood around USCF? Anyways, when I went to Yao's first game at the United Center there were a lot of Chinese people there, not Japenese but I'm sure there are just as many Japenese as Chinese.

Chinatown is 5-10 minutes from USC.

I'm really surprised the Sox haven't done this until now, the attendance will approve from this, unless of course Takatsu struggles heavily, which is very possible knowing the luck of the Sox.