AP Press Release On Saturday's Game

kevingrt13

"TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) _ Gil Heredia faced major league hitters for the first time since the 2001 season Saturday, working two innings for the Chicago White Sox in a 7-4 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Danny Bautista drove in a pair of runs for Arizona, and Elmer Dessens gave up an unearned run in two innings. Tony Womack, Junior Spivey and Carlos Baerga also had RBIs.

Heredia didn't have a great outing, allowing three hits and three runs _ two earned _ while walking two. But considering the limited work the 37-year-old right-hander has had recently, it wasn't bad.

``Being rusty is a big key, especially when you go out there and try to compete without having an intrasquad, just going on two bullpens and two batting practice sessions,'' he said.

``It's good to go compete. That's the fun thing,'' he said. ``As far as being satisfied, I'm happy that my arm feels great, and that's the biggest key.''

Heredia is 57-51 in his career with a 4.46 ERA in nine seasons with San Francisco, Montreal, Texas and Oakland. He was 15-11 with the A's in 2000, including an 11-2 record on the road, and beat the New York Yankees in the first game of the AL division series.

But he struggled in 2001, going 7-8 and being demoted to the bullpen in August. He sat out last year, then played in the Mexican Winter League, where he went 5-2 with a 4.26 ERA.

The White Sox signed him in January, and now he's competing for a spot in their starting rotation.

``Gil Heredia had a good (second) inning,'' manager Jerry Manuel said. ``We gave away a few outs in that (first) inning, and with the way he pitches, the ball's going to be in play. You've got to make those plays. As with any good team, you can't give a lot of extra outs.

``For a guy missing a year and coming back and still pitching the way he does, I thought that was pretty good.''

Already trailing 3-1, Heredia came in and gave up back-to-back walks. The Diamondbacks scored on an error, and Baerga and Spivey each had RBI singles to make it 6-1.

But Heredia settled down in the next inning, allowing only one hit.

``My mental frame of mind right now is to go out there and pitch healthy and go accordingly,'' Heredia said. ``That's the only thing I have in mind. I haven't really thought about next start or next week or two weeks from now. Let it take care of itself.''

Notes:@ Diamondbacks CF David Dellucci left in the second inning after fouling a ball off his left ankle. Luis Terrero replaced him and went 2-for-3. ... White Sox CF Armando Rios was scratched with a stiff back.