Sox adjust team chemistry

greasywheels121

Notes: Sox adjust team chemistry

Chicago clubhouse changes with loss of teammates

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com   

MINNEAPOLIS -- The White Sox clubhouse had a distinctly different look to it prior to Tuesday's all-important series opener in Minnesota.

Gone are the yells across the locker room and jabs at the media and teammates provided by closer Billy Koch, traded to Florida on June 17. Also missing were the smiles, hugs and pats on the back provided by catcher Miguel Olivo, moved to Seattle on Sunday evening as part of a five-player deal for starting pitcher Freddy Garcia.

Changing teams is part of the business of baseball, unless you are someone like George Brett or Edgar Martinez. But even with an acquisition of Garcia's caliber coming to Chicago, the personal loss still takes some getting used to on the human side of the game.

"It's going to be different, and obviously we miss those guys," said White Sox catcher Jamie Burke of Koch and Olivo. "With Billy, he was very outspoken. You don't hear someone yelling and screaming and making funny comments the way he did. You also don't get a hug from Miguel and stuff like that.

"A lot of people say that's just the way this game goes. It is a good opportunity for them to play and to get a change of scenery."

Sandy Alomar Jr., who will pick up extra playing time behind the plate with Olivo gone, knows a little bit about getting traded. Alomar was shipped from San Diego to Cleveland in 1989 for Joe Carter, and was traded by the White Sox to Colorado in late July of 2002.

While new players change the clubhouse atmosphere, it's the traded player who has the biggest adjustment to make.

"When I got traded to Colorado, even though we weren't in the race and the Rockies weren't in the race, I was like, 'Wow. Where are my boys at?'" Alomar said. "Like I said before, to get a special guy, you've got to give away a special player. And Olivo was special. Everybody wanted him, he's a young catcher with a lot of talent."

Under Ozzie Guillen's "team first, me second" attitude, losing important pieces should matter to the rest of the players staying behind. Ultimately, the only thing that really matters, though, is fostering a winning attitude with players that can produce those victories.

Sometimes a team has to give up something important in order to take that next step.

"The one thing in mind is to win games," Guillen said. "You don't see anyone in the paper talking about contracts or personal stuff. They might be scared to do that around me. I came here for one reason, and that's to win games.

"We stick together and that's why it was hard for everyone when we traded Olivo. That's the way the team is going right now. In the past, you make a trade and nobody cares. But now we are in this together."

Catching on: Although he's 37 and has 1,219 games behind the plate in his 15-year career, Alomar is prepared to take on an increased role. Alomar is hitting .278 with one home run and 11 RBIs this season.

But Tuesday's start belonged to Burke, who entered the contest hitting .444 in 18 at-bats with six RBIs. Burke earned the confidence of the pitchers in calling games, a little bit more so than Olivo, and has gone from journeyman to co-starter.

"That's a good feeling to have, after working so hard," Burke said of his new role. "It's sad to see Olivo go. But it opens up the door for myself, and I want to take advantage. It's what I worked for my whole life.

"It sunk in today, after all the phone calls the last couple of days. It's a great thing for me."

Saturday in the park: A decision on the fifth starter's spot, set to work Game 2 of the three-game series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field this weekend, won't be made until Wednesday by Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper. For once, the White Sox will be deciding from a position of success where that particular spot in the rotation is concerned.

Both Felix Diaz and Jon Rauch pitched well and picked up victories in their last respective trip to the mound. But it was Diaz's strong six innings against the Cubs last Saturday at U.S. Cellular Field that could earn the edge for this Saturday.

"The way Diaz pitched against the Cubs, he earned another start against them," Guillen said of Diaz, who allowed three runs on six hits. "The way Diaz handled them, we will probably go with Diaz."

Rauch, who defeated the Indians last Thursday for the first win from the fifth starter's slot after eight straight losses and an earned run average near 12.00, will be available out of the bullpen against the Twins.

"If I don't pitch Diaz and Rauch doesn't pitch well, you guys will all ask, 'What's Ozzie doing?'" said Guillen with a laugh. "I know Chicago media and the fans."

Missing in action: Magglio Ordonez was not with the team in Minneapolis, instead returning to Florida to deal with paperwork regarding his visa.

"I don't even know where Magglio is," said Guillen with a smile, before relaying the information concerning Ordonez. "I was worried about Ben (Davis) and Freddy (Garcia) getting here on time, and they are here."

Down on the farm: Wilson Valdez and Andres Torres had three hits apiece and scored four runs between them during Triple-A Charlotte's 10-9 victory over Scranton Monday. Bryant Nelson hit his 13th home run and drove in four runs, giving him 47.

Daron Roberts had two hits and two runs scored during Great Falls' 8-7 victory at Helena. Brian Becker had four hits and Mike Spidale extended his hitting streak to six games with two hits during Double-A Birmingham's 4-1 victory over Montgomery. Jeff Bajenaru picked up his 12th save, lowering his ERA to 1.74 over his last 10 appearances.