Trib Article on Sox

bjm676

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Camp turning into global village

Latin players, Japanese provide international flavor

February 21, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. -- It was quite an international scene at White Sox camp Monday when manager Ozzie Guillen met his new second baseman.

Tadahito Iguchi, fresh from Japan and with little ability to speak English, received his first taste of major-league spring training when he reported and took a look around the complex. He'll have his first workout Tuesday.

Surrounded by cameramen and Japanese reporters, Iguchi was shown around by closer Shingo Takatsu before meeting Guillen, who took the two aside. With an interpreter, the manager told Iguchi what to expect.

Did Iguchi, who can understand English if not articulate an answer in the language, understand Guillen, who has his own version of the language?

"I don't think I understood what I was saying," Guillen said.

It's safe to say that the managers Iguchi had in Japan were nothing like what he's about to experience with Guillen.

"You probably know Japanese managers are very strict," Iguchi said. "Ozzie is more friendly and he opened the door for me. He's a very good friend."

Guillen wanted to make sure Iguchi felt he was a part of the team and that he integrates himself into the clubhouse culture.

"I want to get him involved, the same way he was in Japan," Guillen said. "Most of the guys have a tendency to stay away from everyone and try to learn the language and all that stuff. But I said, 'From the first day, you're a White Sox member. You're not a Japanese player, you're another Chicago player.'"

United Nations

The different languages on the Sox can wear on Guillen. The pitchers are broken into groups, and Guillen is trying to avoid one. "We have a group that only has one guy who speaks straight English. That's [Jeff] Bajenaru," Guillen said. "Besides that, we've got six Latin guys and Shingo in the same group. It's like three different languages in one second. That's why I try to avoid going to that group."