Favorite places to be

Soxplosion

3) New York City...I live 20 miles away so it's kinda like home.  I am surprised people have not said this yet, because it really is great.  Although before I moved here, when I was in Chicago, I always resented NYC because it gets more attention.  But now I see it deserves all of the attention, I especially like mid-town.

2) Chicago...Home sweet home.  Nothing like home, love the White Sox to add to that.  OldRoman said that he likes the South Side, I am not as much a fan of the south side as the Loop and the places to go on the north side.  I feel like a traitor saying that, but Comiskey Park is my favorite place in the city so don't charge me of treason.  I also love this little 'grease spoon' type hamburger stand on the south side, I can't remember if it is called Maxwell St. Station, or 35th St. Station, either way great burgers pick 'em up eat in the car.

1) Hawaii...I am typically a city person, but I loved Hawaii.  I stayed in Honalulu at this hotel right on Waikiki beach.  Climbed diamond head, my uncle was in the navy so we got a free tour of some ships.  Swam in the crystal clear water, saw the dole pineapple plantation, saw pearl harbor.  Great place...I am not sure if I would like living there though.

Boston, London, and Monterrey Bay are all runners up to the top 3.

Awesome man. What hotel did you stay in? You said your dad was in the navy so was it the Hale Koa? Thats where I stayed. But I would love to live in Hawaii.

And I like the loop too, I just like the Southside (Comiskey in particular) more...

Awesome man. What hotel did you stay in? You said your dad was in the navy so was it the Hale Koa? Thats where I stayed. But I would love to live in Hawaii.

And I like the loop too, I just like the Southside (Comiskey in particular) more...

Actually, it was my uncle in the navy and I think it was the Hale Koa, I remember there were a lot of navy people staying there. It was a great hotel, and there was a little snack place called smiley's.

I am not sure I would want to live in Hawaii though because after a while i think I would feel claustrophobic living on an island. U of Hawaii is a possibility for college though.

3) New York City...I live 20 miles away so it's kinda like home.  I am surprised people have not said this yet, because it really is great.  Although before I moved here, when I was in Chicago, I always resented NYC because it gets more attention.  But now I see it deserves all of the attention, I especially like mid-town.

Note my original post. NYC at the top. I, too, resented NYC before ever living there, but now I understand how incredible the place is. It's not for everybody; not clean, stinky in places, fast paced. But if you want to have fun, and see incredible sights on a daily basis for years straight, it's the only place to be. I also found that the only way to notice all the sights and beauty is to be living there. You just don't see it as a visitor.

Personally I liked downtown over midtown; worked in both. Older, more history, and the buildings are so close together (not the perfect grid like midtown) that some streets never get sunlight!

Also, unless you're rich or born and raised there, it's only good for a certain time in your life. Many people opt to move to the burbs (Long Island/New Jersey/CT) for the house and family.

Actually, it was my uncle in the navy and I think it was the Hale Koa, I remember there were a lot of navy people staying there. It was a great hotel, and there was a little snack place called smiley's.

I am not sure I would want to live in Hawaii though because after a while i think I would feel claustrophobic living on an island. U of Hawaii is a possibility for college though.

Hale Koa is an all military hotel. It had a couple of pools and I dont remember Smileys but I do remember a Haagen Daas. We would go down to the beach every evening and on the way back we would always stop at Haagen Daas. Theres a picture of me on the boardwalk in Hawaii with like five parrots sitting on my outspread arms. One of the parrots bit my brothers ear. It was the nicest place in the world.

But since I want to go into the Marines as an officer, my parents want me to do NROTC in college. There isnt one at UH (there are proposals) so I probably wont go there unless one of those proposals comes thru in the next two years. I wouldnt have any problem living on an island tho, especially the Hawaian Islands. I get claustrophobic in reallly really small places such as elevators, not contained places such as islands. One good thing tho, is that the military has several bases (one marine base) in Hawaii so i could always request to be stationed there.

Did you ever go to Hanauma Bay, where you can snorkel with the fish? I loved that.

There is a list which was just recently made of the top ten beaches in the US. Hawaii had four of them. 1.) Kaanapali beach. 4.) Hanalei Bay. 7.) Makalawena beach. 8.) Hanauma Bay. Out of all those I have only been to Hanauma Bay.

And also, one correction to an earlier post. I have never been to Maui, only to Oahu and Kauai...

Did you ever go to Hanauma Bay, where you can snorkel with the fish? I loved that.

I snorkeled there too, it was great. They had those pellets to drop in the water and the fish would come in droves. Really a marvelous place.

What kind of pay do Marine officers get? I am not really the outdoors/nature type (unless it is beaches and warm whether like hawaii) so the military might not be my cup of tea, but just in case I am interested I would like to know what kind of career it is.

I snorkeled there too, it was great.  They had those pellets to drop in the water and the fish would come in droves.  Really a marvelous place.

What kind of pay do Marine officers get?  I am not really the outdoors/nature type (unless it is beaches and warm whether like hawaii) so the military might not be my cup of tea, but just in case I am interested I would like to know what kind of career it is.

I never had to drop the pellets. They always just seemed to be there, but who can resist me? :lol:

As for the pay, I know its decent but Im not sure exactly how much it is...