AAP: Carlos Torres

beck72

• 2 weeks later...

Here's BA's Report on Carlos Torres from its 2006 Prospect Handbook:

#24 Sox Prospect: "An unheralded 15th round pick in the 2004 draft, Torres used a strong senior season at Kansas St. to catch the White Sox' attention. He pitched at four colleges in four years....He has benefitted from the stability provided in the Sox system, where the pitching coaches work well together. Torres began 2005 in extended spring training and ended the season with nine strong starts in low class A including a win in the SAL playoffs. He finished up with a strong showing in instructional league, where he went back to a full windup after working exclusively out of the stretch during the season. Torres as a live arm that delivers 92-93 MPH fastballs. He also has a solid slider and an improving changeup. Very disciplined and possessing a strong work ethic, he'll move up to high class A in 2006.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hadn't paid a lot of attention to this guy previously, especially at 26 in AAA. But I have to say, looking more closely, I like what I see. Not only are his core results good, but all the peripherals look consistently good as well, even getting better as time goes on. He strikes out a lot of guys, walks few, doesn't give up home runs, gets ground balls at a good rate... he has a fastball around 93 and a good slider, and a change up that has apparently improved.

I hope if we bring up another starter this year for any reason, its this guy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...