I just picked up DLee off waivers in a public league. I figure he's likely gone until after the ASG, but c'mon -- how can I pass that one up? (I only had to drop Shannon Stewart -- yeah, yeah, okay, why SS ever? B/c my ba SUCKED. I started off playing Wilkerson + Francoeur + Morneau.)

Am I thinking about this right, or will he miss too much time to even be worth a roster spot? How long are you willing to wait on a player? (For a non-keeper league.)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. :D

Now, same league, I've had Harden on the dl. But now Lee is back on the dl, and his best case scenario has him returning in August, while Harden at best returns in September (even then, there's talk he'll only go into the pen). Opinions on who to keep in the dl spot? I can't afford to keep both.

They're both probably lost causes, I know that. But there's noone much better to stash in that spot.

If you really need the bench spot you can drop Harden. He could come back and be a major factor down the stretch though, so I'd personally like to stash him (in fact, I did in one league).

Lee is probably an even better player to keep on the roster after what he did last year. If he comes back, he can have a monster impact. I did the same thing with Lance Berkman last year. He missed the first two months and started slow, but he basically won the league for me in the playoffs.

I guess it depends on whether you think you need hitting or pitching more. Both can be impact players down the stretch. Lee might be a little off because of the wrist though, just something to consider.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
If you really need the bench spot you can drop Harden. He could come back and be a major factor down the stretch though, so I'd personally like to stash him (in fact, I did in one league).

Lee is probably an even better player to keep on the roster after what he did last year. If he comes back, he can have a monster impact. I did the same thing with Lance Berkman last year. He missed the first two months and started slow, but he basically won the league for me in the playoffs.

I guess it depends on whether you think you need hitting or pitching more. Both can be impact players down the stretch. Lee might be a little off because of the wrist though, just something to consider.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a roto league, and I need some hitting (hr and rbi) and some pitching (strikeouts and wins). I've been leaning towards keeping Harden. Lee might be huge, but with Dusty's talk about him 'not being right till 07', and the Cubs being out of it, it wouldn't surprise me if he's shut down the rest of the year. Even if he does come back, I'm not sure the power will be there (and I'm okay on runs and steals, for whatever he's worth there).

Plus, I have Morneau there now. And even if Morneau goes into a swoon like early this season (the next 2 days would be a nice time to start, Justin), there're guys like Mike Jacobs, Adrian Gonzalez, and Frank available to fill in. The dropoff from what Lee's likely to be, to those guys, seems to be less than the dropoff from Harden to the best available starter.

It just seems like such a slim chance that Harden is back at all, not to mention starting. Beginning of September at the earliest.