Aaron Miles

Guest JimH

The AM 1000 guys were talking to Bruce Levine late this afternoon and asked if he's heard anything about the Sox adding players to the mix. The topic of Jimenez came up vis-a-vis his brain cramp on the bases in the 9th inning Wed. night.

Levine commented the Sox probably wouldn't go out of the organization because they have a guy at AAA, Aaron Miles, who has a good bat and pretty good baseball instincts, and they may take a look at him soon.

I didn't put quotes around the comments because I didn't get it word for word, but that was the gist of his remarks.

Manuel just seems so reluctant to bench certain guys, I'd bet it takes an injury to either Valentin, Jimenez, or Graffanino to have him promoted.

My only problem(s) with Miles ... very few walks and at last count, zero stolen bases. If this guy is indeed a sparkplug player, I'd like to see more walks and stolen bases.

That's really what this team needs ... a guy who's a pain in the butt to play against.

Oops ... my bad on Miles' stolen bases ... he does have 2 this year. He's been caught 8 times.

15 walks in 272 at-bats, 31 strikeouts. Hitting .320 with an on-base % of .358

I think Miles could help this team, but he has to be part of it, not the sole solution. I am not convinced that Miles shelf life in the Big Leagues will be long. I think he is a 1-2 year guy, max 3 years. I see him in a similar light as Frank Menechino, although Frankie walks more. MIles will have to do it with his bat and his attitude. I do think that Miles is a late bloomer and still has room to improve, however.

Miles attitude and hustle is good. seeing him play in March, he does have that spark about it him, but talent-wise, I don't see him lasting long or playing to a very high level. he's basically a starter or nothing due to the fact that he can't play another position.

I wouldn't mind seeing him up here if an injury happens or to have him platoon with Jimenez if Jimenez continues to struggle, but I dont' see Miles making as big as an impact as people think. maybe I'll be wrong though.