15 day DL vs 60 day DL

Marky Mark

Are there limits to how many players can be placed on the 15 day DL ? I've always wondered that because otherwise what would be the point of having the 60 day DL? You can just keep reinstating the player on the 15 for as long as needed so why would a 60 day DL be necessary?

Also I saw Cintron's 7 days of bereavement list time have expired so they put him on the restrictive list, is that essentially just an extended bereavement list?

If a player is put on the 15 day DL, they can remain on it until the team sees it justified that said player can be brought back...that could be 15 days or 59 days. The point of the 60 day DL suggests that you will not have this player for quite some time - duh; by putting a player on the 60 day DL, a roster on the 40-man roster is opened, thus allowing for someone else to be called up who was previously not on the 40 man roster. When said player on the 60 day is ready to rejoin the team, a 40 man roster spot then has to be opened up for him.

I'm not sure if there is an exact limit to the number of players you can put on the DL; you would imagine it would be 15 due to the difference between the 25 man and 40 man roster, but I'd imagine it's possible to carry 24 players on a team, thus allowing for 16 on the DL. Regardless, it's not something that will likely ever happen without someone going on the 60-day DL first, so I don't believe there's real reason to instate a maximum number of players on the DL.