Draft Results Thread

Hey everyone, I thought this would be a fun thread where we can post our draft results and our reasoning behind some picks. Since most drafts are already done, we can use this thread to compare draft theories and it'll be interestig to compare notes on differing drafting styles.

I'll start off:

Here's team 1:

Team name: Basin City Sinners

League Type: 20-team 5x5 head-to-head with 25-man rosters. 500 total players drafted. RF/CF/LF instead of OF.

Draft pick: #9 pick out of 20.

1. Ryan Howard

2. Brandon Phillips

3. Curtis Granderson

4. Jermaine Dye

5. Jhonny Peralta

6. Carlos Pena

7. Matt Capps

8. Justin Verlander

9. Zack Greinke

10. Johnny Cueto

11. Brad Ziegler

12. Hiroki Kuroda

13. Ian Snell

14. Casey Blake

15. Ty Wigginton

16. Kelly Shoppach

17. Chris Getz

18. Ken Griffey Jr.

19. Jeff Clement

20. Marcus Thames

21. Joe Blanton

22. Doug Brocail

23. John Grabow

24. Doug Davis

25. Nick Punto

Analysis: I always target hitting in the first 6 rounds of drafts, especially in deep 20-team leagues so that I can dominate teams that overdraft pitchers and have thin offenses with my heavy-power offensive barrage.

I was looking to draft someone that can hit 35+ home runs for my 1st round draft pick, since homers are at a premium in deep leagues, and was more than happy to draft Howard. I also drafted Dye for his offensive consistency and I also drafted Pena as a "why not?/best on board" pick and have him slotted in at Util. The trio of Howard/Dye/Pena along ought to be able to carry the team and I also drafted Phillips and Granderson as 5-tool types that can also net me decent steals.

I also always target 2nd-tier pitching since I rather not draft someone like Santana or Linecum, since picking any pitcher in the first 6 rounds would really weaken my offense.

Chris Getz is my prospective pick, and Ken Griffey is my low-ranked sleeper pick. Nick Punto was my last pick and I needed someone to back up SS, and the only other options were guys like Bruntlett.

After the draft, I waited till all post-draft players cleared waivers so I can keep my waiver # and made some transactions: Dropped Jeff Clement, picked up Rod Barajas. Dropped Marcus Thames and picked up Juan Rivera.

Team 2:

Team name: Kansas City Crows

League Type: 20-team 5x5 head-to-head league. 25-man rosters, with OF set to RF/CF/LF. 500 total players drafted.

Draft pick: #6 out of 20.

1. Ryan Braun

2. Kevin Youkilis

3. Russell Martin

4. JJ Hardy

5. Bobby Abrue

6. Torii Hunter

7. Carlos Zambrano

8. Mike Gonzalez

9. John Danks

10. Ted Lilly

11. Orlando Hudson

12. Oliver Perez

13. Mark Buehrle

14. Josh Fields

15. David DeJesus

16. Mike Jacobs

17. Kendry Morales

18. Mike Lowell

19. Yuniesky Betancourt

20. Asdrubal Cabrera

21. Dana Eveland

22. Edwin Jackson

23. Manny Delcarmen

24. Scott Linebrink

25. Miguel Olivo

*After all undrafted players cleared waivers, I made these following transactions:

-dropped Miguel Olivo, picked up John Baker

-dropped Asdrubal Cabrera, picked up Emilio Bonifacio.

-dropped Yuniesky Betancourt, picked up Erick Aybar.

The start of this draft was almost a disaster. The day before, I installed a new antivirus program and when draft time came I couldn't get through the firewall until after the 3rd round. Luckily for me, I pre-ranked players and had a ton of players on my exclude list. However, I was planning on reaching and drafting Manny Ramirez, Youkilis, and Uggla as my first 3 players. I ended up with Braun, Youkilis, and Martin instead, and ended up drafting the rest of the batters I decided to target pre-draft: Hardy, Abrue, Hunter, before I started picking pitchers. It is just a coincidence that I ended up with a very Chicago-heavy pitching staff, since a couple of pitchers I was targetting were picked before I was able to get to them, so I became a "best on board" situation. I drafted Josh Fields as my big sleeper-type pick, as well as Kendry Morales, because I'm predicting big years from those two. I also ended up picking Bonifacio as a free agent to back up 2nd base and I'm also expecting a big year from in in Florida. Bonifacio's been a fantasy prospect of mines since he was with the Nationals, and I have a pretty good track record on fantasy prospects (such as discovering Russell Martin in the Catcher pile in 2006).

Some 12-team fantasy baseball players might wonder why I have 14 batters on my 20-team league teams. Well, in 20-team leagues, the free agent pool is so shallow that if one of your regular everyday batters are on the DL, you're just flat out of luck with MLB bench/utility-types being the majority of players to choose from. Drafting 17 pitchers in a deep league like this is not a good strategy, so I just draft enough pitchers to be able to compete while focusing on drafting solid offenses.

Team 3:

Team name: BleedingD

League type: 12-team 5x5 head-to-head keeper league. 25-man rosters. OF set to OF.

Draft pick: #9 out of 12.

1. Ryan Braun

2. Lance Berkman

3. Matt Kemp

4. Russell Martin

5. Dan Haren

6. Jermaine Dye

7. Michael Young

8. Ervin Santana

9. Carlos Delgado

10. Matt Cain

11. Francisco Cordero

12. Mark DeRosa

13. Matt Garza

14. Randy Johnson

15. Adrian Beltre

16. Chris Young (Arizona)

17. Troy Percival

18. George Sherrill

19. Josh Fields

20. Orlando Cabrera

21. Grant Balfour

22. Jeremy Guthrie

23. Juan Cruz

24. Placido Polanco

25. AJ Pierzynski

This is the 1st year of a keeper league and I wanted to take the Kenny Williams route of trying to put myself in a position to win now while also having a solid young core for the future. I'm planning on keeping Braun, Berkman, Kemp, Martin, Haren, Santana, Cain, Garza, Young, and Fields as my 10 keepers, depending on how they do this season or if I make any other acquistions. I'm pretty excited about this league.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

Team 4:

Team name: Chicago 48ers

League type: 20-team 8x8 roto league with 23-man rosters. OF set to CF and 2 OF.

Draft pick: #14 out of 20.

1. Mark Teixeira

2. Aramis Ramirez

3. Alexei Ramirez

4. Cory Hart

5. Johnny Damon

6. Mark DeRosa

7. Brian Fuentes

8. Aaron Harang

9. John Danks

10. Randy Johnson

11. Joel Hanrahan

12. Gil Meche

13. Paul Konerko

14. AJ Pierzynski

15. Jack Cust

16. Rickie Weeks

17. Ty Wigginton

18. Ken Griffey Jr.

19. Todd Wellemeyer

20. Scott Lewis

21. Chad Durbin

22. Greg Zaun

23. Marco Scutaro

This is my first time playing a roto league, I ended up joining as a "why not?" decision once my friend told me it was going to be a 20-team league. Towards the end of the draft, I once again picked Griffey as a sleeper pick, and I also picked Zaun as my back-up catcher with the hopes that Weiters might have an extended stay in the minors. I also drafted Konerko as a potential sleeper for my back-up 1st base slot because I'm expecting a bounce-back year from him. Scott Lewis was someone I picked on a gamble that I'm hoping will pan out. Compared to a lot of other teams in the league, I think I drafted a team that can compete with the pack.