International Prospects lying about their age

chisoxfan09

As with any trend in modern sports with negative consequences like doping on PED´s, lying about one´s age to clearly stand out as a young prospect to increase the likelihood of a signing bonus and command a higher salary is becoming increasingly prevalent in baseball now. With a new rumor just popping up regarding Aroldis Chapmen´s real age possibly being 26 and not 21 and other similar cases existing should we as fans turn a blind eye to this behavior? I say no as a fan and make the following points:

1. I think the MLBPA (Player´s Association) along with the MLB Commisioner´s office should come down hard on offenders of this nature by declaring them ineligible for a draft for at least 1 year.

2. I also think they should not command as high a salary once deemend eleigible due to the years they have literally taken off their resume and cost the perspective clubs in productivity which is lost. I don´t think it it

as damaging as doping but nonetheless demonstrates a lack of integrity towards the sport and more importantly the fan base.

Discuss

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
If the kid can play ball the kid can play ball. Dont care how old he is.

That's not the point. There's a big difference between signing a guy who you think is 16 but is actually 21 and signing a guy who actually is 21.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 06:37 AM)
As with any trend in modern sports with negative consequences like doping on PED´s, lying about one´s age to clearly stand out as a young prospect to increase the likelihood of a signing bonus and command a higher salary is becoming increasingly prevalent in baseball now. With a new rumor just popping up regarding Aroldis Chapmen´s real age possibly being 26 and not 21 and other similar cases existing should we as fans turn a blind eye to this behavior? I say no as a fan and make the following points:

1. I think the MLBPA (Player´s Association) along with the MLB Commisioner´s office should come down hard on offenders of this nature by declaring them ineligible for a draft for at least 1 year.

2. I also think they should not command as high a salary once deemend eleigible due to the years they have literally taken off their resume and cost the perspective clubs in productivity which is lost. I don´t think it it

as damaging as doping but nonetheless demonstrates a lack of integrity towards the sport and more importantly the fan base.

Discuss

I say if the truth comes out after they sign the contract, the team has the ability to void the contract and release the player. The player would also get a 1 year ban from professional baseball.

Add identity theft/lying about who they are to the list too.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/268483.html

MLB's latest catch is Indians shortstop Jose Osoria, who signed for $575,000 last year on July 2. Indians assistant general manager John Mirabelli confirmed that Osoria's real name is Wally Bryan and that Bryan is 20 years old, three years older than he had presented himself. Bryan ranked as Cleveland's No. 30 prospect entering the season.

"We still like his ability," Mirabelli said. "We still like his talent. I'm not going to try to pretend there's not a difference between 17 and 20. There certainly is in terms of projection, but the fact of the matter is he isn't who he said he was."