THIS DATE IN SOX HISTORY/ Feb. 21, big day

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: FEB. 21

THE SOX AT NIGHT, SHINE BIG & BRIGHT, DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS

1931: The White Sox were part of history when they played the New York Giants in the first night game between two big league teams at Buffs Stadium in Houston, Texas. The teams combined to collected 23 hits in the 10-inning exhibition. Despite countless searches, I was unable to find the score of the game. The Sox wouldn’t play their first night game at Comiskey Park until Aug. 14, 1939.

DENT: I WANT TO STAY WITH THE SOX

1977: Even with his future with the White Sox uncertain, shortstop Bucky Dent began working out at the team’s spring training complex in Sarasota, Fla., according to the Chicago Tribune. Dent, who had given the Sox three solid seasons, arrived in Florida more than a week before the rest of the Sox were required to be there. “I want to stay with the Sox,” Dent told the Tribune. Dent would last through spring training with the Sox but he was dealt to the Yankees for Oscar Gamble, LaMarr Hoyt, a minor leaguer and $200,000 on April 5, 1977 – two days before Opening Day.

THE MAD HUNGARIAN ON DISPLAY

1983: Even with a stocked and talented pitching staff, White Sox manager Tony LaRussa decided to take a look at a familiar name during spring training in Sarasota, Fla. Al Hrabosky, the “Mad Hungarian” was given the chance to win a spot in the Sox bullpen, according to Chicago Tribune reports of the day. Hrabosky, a colorful lefty who led the N.L. with 22 saves for the 1975 Cardinals, was signed by the Sox on April 8, 1983 but he never played in a game for the Sox.

MJ GOES DEEP … BUT NOT FOR 3

1994: Recently-signed White Sox minor leaguer Michael Jordan socked his first batting practice home run, according to Chicago Tribune reports of the day. Hitting with Frank Thomas, Jordan’s fly ball just cleared the billboards in left field at the Sox complex in Sarasota, Fla., according to the Tribune.

Follow me on Twitter at @DaveMarran