AAP: Jacob Sanchez

In today's edition of Better Know a Prospect, I present Fightin' Jacob (Jake) Sanchez. Sanchez recently made his way to the White Sox organization from the Joliet Slammers of the independent Frontier League.

Position: P

Birthdate: Aug 19, 1989

Hometown: Brawley, CA

Bats/Throws: R/R

Height: 6-1

Weight: 205 lbs

Pitched at Iowa Wesleyan College (NAIA Division II) for two years after transferring from Imperial Valley Community College. He has no scouting reports that I can find. Sanchez was the Midwest Collegiate Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2012. Sanchez finished the 2012 Iowa Wesleyan season with a 10-2 record and a 2.42 earned run average, including 111 strikeouts, 12 walks, 71 hits allowed and 28 runs allowed (25 earned) in 93 innings pitched. He led the MCC in strikeouts and innings pitched, was second in wins and third in earned run average and opponents' batting average (.208). Sanchez obliterated the Iowa Wesleyan single season strikeout record, becoming the first player in school history to go over 100 K's in a season, and also tied the school record for wins in a season. He also was a recipient of a Gold Glove award with one error in 29 chances in the field.

Sanchez had a very impressive rookie season for the Slammers. In 11 starts he posted a 5-2 record with a 2.89 ERA. Sanchez struck out 45 batters and walked only 15. The right-hander went at least six innings in eight of his 11 starts.

Before being signed by the White Sox this season Sanchez was 0-2 with a 2.36 ERA in 26.2 IP with 29 SO to 6 BB.

He debuted with the Great Falls Voyagers on June 23, with 6 IP 3 ER 8 SO and 0 BB.

Edited by MaggsOrdonez

• 9 months later...

First of all, I realize this guy is "old" for his level, but with what he has done so far in his minor league career I thought he'd be interesting to follow.

Jake was signed as a non-drafted free agent on June 8, 2013. Assigned to Great Falls, he went 6-3 in 14 games as a starter. He led the Pioneer League in ERA, strikeouts and opponents batting average. This season, currently at Kannapolis he has so far appeared in 7 games, one as a starter. He's 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 18.1 innings while holding opponents to a measly .066 BA. He's walked 6 and struck out 25 while allowing just 4 hits. A right-hander, Right-handed hitters are batting .028 against him. Pretty impressive. He'll turn 25 August 18th.

• 1 month later...