Updated White Sox Comprehensive Power Rankings

JoeBatterz

:gosox1:

White Sox Power Rankings as of 9-6-2006

At this stage of the season, the ultimate rankings are those of the divisional title and more realistically of the wild card race. While things look quite bleak now, let's take a look at how the White Sox are still regarded on a national scale. Keep in mind that some of these rankings are more current than others. They are all from the past week. I am a bit surprised by where we rank, even in those polls that are current through today.

CBS Sportsline: #6

They really aren't playing like the sixth-best team in baseball, but we're taking the whole body of work into consideration, including last October. We have come to the conclusion the pitching won't be what it was, but perhaps they'll just slug their way in.

Computer Power Rankings by Mike Greenfield: #5

ESPN: #5

MVP! MVP! MVP! Jermaine Dye batted .355 with 10 HR and 30 RBI in August.

Fox Sports: #4

Questions for this week … Why is now the time for the White Sox?

The White Sox have played a narrowly tougher schedule than Minnesota, and they have a better run differential. So despite the fact that they’re a half-game behind the Twins in the wild-card chase, the Sox get ranked a spot higher. Jim Thome has missed four straight games with a strained hammy, but he should be back in the lineup by mid-week. They’re next six come against the D-Rays and Royals, so Chicago needs to fatten up before the schedule toughens up.

The Oregonian: #4

Jermaine Dye mashes his way toward MVP.

Sports Illustrated: #6

In our latest installment of Kids Say the Darndest Things, Ozzie once again chides his starting pitchers for not chipping in with the chores. "My offense scores 12 runs," the skipper said after a 12-9 win over the Devil Rays last week, "and I have to bring in my closer? That's horse[bleep]." Oh, that crazy, unpredictable Oz. What will he say next?

The Sports Network: #3

Garland has White Sox feeling merry as of late.

TSN-Canada: #7

Live and Let Dye: RF Jermaine Dye has put up MVP-type numbers (38-102-.326) this season.

Key Injuries: None.

USA Today's Sports Weekly: #4

If pitching doesn't improve, they won't defend title.

USA Today Individual Award Rankings:

AL MVP: Jermaine Dye #2, Jim Thome #6 (Projected Winner - Jeter)

Average Rank: 4.9

Doc Sport's Odd's to WIN the World Series: 6-1 (8th overall)

AL Leader: Tigers 6/5

NL Leader: Mets 1/1

Cubbies: Eliminated