Draft Profile- Tim Wheeler CF Sac. St

bighurt4life

He's been getting lots of attention this season and has been dominating lower level talent that he plays against.

Here's a few diff. scouting reports on him. I like the fact that he's a good CF, we need to find a long term solution at that position and although we have some talent in the minors in the OF none of them are a sure thing.

Keith Law's take on him

Sacramento State center fielder Tim Wheeler projects as a first-round pick with a very good chance to land in the top 20 due to the dearth of college position players in this draft and the fact that he can stay at a position in the middle of the field. As a hitter, he has good bat speed but some mechanical issues that player development will have to iron out. He bars his front arm briefly, but compensates somewhat with good wrist acceleration. His plate coverage is pretty good considering the bar, and he has a good idea of the strike zone. He doesn't utilize his lower half much and turns his hips early, opening his front side and lessening his ability to use his lower half to drive through the ball. He's slightly above average as a runner. In the field, Wheeler has very good range and reads balls well; he has some arm strength, no worse than average, but tends to throw off his back foot and isn't always accurate. I'd like him better in the sandwich round or even the high second round. He can play center and has bat speed, but the mechanical issues create some risk for his future development.

MLB.com scouting report

Hitting ability: Wheeler makes consistent contact from the left side of the plate.

Power: Power's not a big part of his game, but he might have some, as he showed in his three-homer game.

Running speed: Has plus speed.

Base running: He's very good on the bases and knows how to steal.

Arm strength: Has an average throwing arm from the outfield.

Fielding: Has the tools necessary to be a good center fielder.

Range: Uses his speed to run down balls well.

Physical Description: Wheeler is long and wiry, a kind of Von Hayes body type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: His speed and his ability to make contact.

Weaknesses: He doesn't seem to have much power.

Summary: Wheeler is a pretty advanced college hitter whose best assets are his ability to make contact and his speed. He should be the type who can hit at or near the top of a lineup with the potential to be a plus base-stealer. He uses his speed well in center and has the skills to stay there. Without much power, he probably won't be off the charts, but could be a very solid college draftee in June.

Just read a blurb about him on Baseball America and it said that he has a strong arm, good speed, and avg. power. It said that he might be the best 5-tool talent in the draft. Also said that he had a sweet lefty swing which I will have to disagree with, I watched some video of him taking BP and his swing definitely had some weird hitches in it. That was just BP though so it might smooth out a bit during the game.

Edited by bighurt4life

I've seen some reports that are quite down on Wheeler and say that fundementally he's just a wreck, but he's supposed to have a good bit of ability. Although there are already a couple prospects listed on this forum that I like more than Wheeler. That said, you get him with anything other than your first rounder and I'd be happy.

From Baseball America:

Matthew (Fresno, Ca.): Give me a name that could sneek up in the top 20? (Ala Jason Castro and Jemile Weeks last year)

Jim Callis: Castro went 10th and Weeks went 12th, so let's raise the bar to there. I think Sacramento State outfielder Tim Wheeler could jump up there. He's the second-best college position player for some teams, and he's an athlete who's having a great year.