This Day In Sox History...October 26

Lip Man 1

October 26, 1931 - Sox founder and owner Charles Comiskey died in his home in Eagle River, Wisconsin. He left his entire estate to his son J. Louis Comiskey including the White Sox. His estate was valued at over one and a half million dollars at the time. He died in his sleep. He was 72 years old and had been suffering from heart and kidney ailments that had kept him confined to his home for weeks.

He was the last surviving owner from the formation of the American League who was still active in the game. (The Indians former owner Charles Somers was still alive but had been out of baseball for years.) 

October 26, 1994 - Even though his quest for the Triple Crown was cut short by the labor impasse shutting down baseball six weeks early, Frank Thomas still did enough to garner his second straight M.V.P. award from the Baseball Writers Association of America. Thomas outdistanced future Sox outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and future teammate, Albert Belle and finished with 24 first place votes out of a possible 28. He ended up with 372 points to Griffey’s 233 and Belle’s 225.

Thomas, in 113 games, hit .353 with 38 home runs, 101 RBI’s, 106 runs and 109 walks. With the award, Thomas became the first back-to-back A.L. winner since the Yankees' Roger Maris in 1960 and 1961.

October 26, 2005 - On this night the Sox became World Series champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits 1-0 sweeping the best of seven series four games to none. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings in series play.

Outfielder Jermaine Dye drove in the game’s only run and was named the M.V.P. of the series. The South Side of Chicago exploded in an orgy of delight as fans celebrated all over the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Lip, ty for this post.

I was with at the pioneer tap in forest park when we won.

My best friend who i was with that night just texted to wish me a happy anniversary (i had forgotten).

If i could figure out how to post an image i would post john travolta from pulp fiction looking around confused.

Today is the 18th anniversary of the only sox championship in our lifetimes and you've gone 7 hours without a reply. If sox fans do not celebrate tonight did we really win in 2005. Our club needs help. 

Keep fighting the good fight.

And cheers to the 2005 white sox.