USA

LDF

interesting article from usa today.

The .500 White Sox finished 13 1/2 games behind the Twins last season, but now the Twins' biggest advantage, starting pitching, isn't a certainty.

Chicago's first four — Colon, All-Star lefty Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Danny Wright — won a combined 65 games last season. The Twins have Brad Radke, Eric Milton, Joe Mays, Rick Reed and Kyle Lohse, but if the pitching is even, the Twins have taken a step back.

That's because the White Sox have an incredible lineup, one that is better than the Twins'. The White Sox were third in the American League last season in runs scored with 856, trailing only the New York Yankees (897) and Boston Red Sox (859).

The White Sox have a motivated DH, Frank Thomas, eager to return to the elite level of the league's hitters. They have outfielder Magglio Ordonez (.320 average with 38 home runs, 137 RBI), first baseman Paul Konerko (.304-27-104) and third baseman Joe Crede, a prospect who started to show he's for real at the end of last season.

"The Colon trade was pretty good for the White Sox," said Twins assistant general manager Bill Smith.

The Twins, on the other hand, have made no significant additions for 2003.

White Sox catcher Sandy Alomar, who was a teammate of Colon's in Cleveland, said that Colon has developed into a dominant pitcher because he's learned, at age 29, to use his breaking pitches and changeups.

"And he throws a 97 mile-per-hour fastball," Alomar says. "He's not a puppy anymore."

Buehrle is one of the best lefties in baseball after winning 19 games with a 3.58 ERA last season. Wright was 14-game winner and Alomar says Wright made major improvements.

"He throws 95 or 96 miles per hour and has a great sinker," Alomar says. "He doesn't hang as many pitches. His command still needs work."

Garland, 12-12 last season, beat some of the best AL teams in the final two months, but Alomar says all he needs to do to be consistent is "learn to concentrate more and not lose focus. He always had one bad inning."

Last season, the White Sox had Todd Ritchie (15 losses, 6.06 ERA) in their rotation. The White Sox's No. 5 starter could be yet another veteran secured in a trade or another prospect — maybe Jon Rauch, Gary Glover or Josh Stewart.

The White Sox have also upgraded their bullpen this offseason, adding closer Billy Koch. Their lefty, Damaso Marte, has a chance to be good.

Konerko and Alomar were surprised that their general manager, Ken Wiliams, was able to land Colon, especially after they heard that the Yankees and Red Sox were negotiating with the cost-cutting Montreal Expos.

Colon adds $8.25 million to Chicago's payroll and when Williams approached chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about the deal, "There was no hesitation," Williams said.

"Those teams usually get what they want," Konerko said. "I didn't see this coming. But I don't think Minnesota is done getting better. The Twins are not a final product. Last year, they won with two of their best pitchers injured."

That would be Radke and Milton. Mays was injured, too. All told, they missed about 30 games because of injuries.

The key for the Twins will be their offense. It faltered toward the end of the season, especially in the American League Championship Series vs. the Anaheim Angels.

The Twins had injuries problems in the regular lineup, too. None of their infielders — Corey Koskie, Cristian Guzman, Luis Rivas or Doug Mientkiewicz — had their usual seasons.

And, All-Star center-fielder Torii Hunter averaged .263 with nine home runs in the second half, compared to .306 and 20 in the first half. This year, the Twins are hoping that unproven Matt LeCroy can be a productive DH.

If the Twins' offense improves and their pitching stays healthy, Minnesota have a good chance to repeat as the AL Central champion.

The Twins are 25-13 head-to-head vs. the White Sox over the last two seasons, but Colon could help the White Sox turn those numbers around.

What a difference a year makes.

This time last season Cleveland was the anticipated powerhouse and not many experts would have predicted the first-place Twins being challenged by the second-place White Sox for the division title.

"This time last season Cleveland was the anticipated powerhouse and not many experts would have predicted the first-place Twins being challenged by the second-place White Sox for the division title."

I wouldn't exactly say that Twins were challenged.

One thing about this article scares me...otherwise it was good.

I hope this guy wasn't as informed when he wrote it, because he has the possible #5 starters for us being Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart or Gary Glover. Pardon me for butting in, but didn't we try that last year?

One thing about this article scares me...otherwise it was good.

I hope this guy wasn't as informed when he wrote it, because he has the possible #5 starters for us being Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart or Gary Glover.  Pardon me for butting in, but didn't we try that last year?

Glover starting would have to be an "if all else fails" situation. A last resort. I hope it's a last resort.