Dominance

Guest wsc425

O's give Helling minor league deal

By Becky Dubin Jenkins / MLB.com

Rick Helling has a career record of 82-70 with a 4.72 ERA. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)

BALTIMORE -- The Orioles on Monday night added another pitcher to the mix, signing free agent Rick Helling to a minor league deal, it was announced Tuesday.

Helling will have to make the Opening Day roster in order to receive some of the incentives that were negotiated as part of the deal.

"Rick is a durable veteran who provides us added starting pitching depth at no risk," said Orioles vice president for baseball operations Mike Flanagan. "He is a proven winner with experience who takes the ball every fifth day."

The 32-year-old right-hander brings to Baltimore nine years of big-league experience with the Diamondbacks, Rangers and Marlins. He has a career record of 82-70 with a 4.72 ERA. Last year, he went 10-12 with a 4.51 ERA as Arizona's No. 3 starter behind Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.

O's pitchers and catchers report to the team's Spring Training facility in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Thursday. The team already has six pitchers competing for spots in the starting rotation: Rodrigo Lopez, Omar Daal, Sidney Ponson, Scott Erickson, Jason Johnson and Pat Hentgen. If Helling doesn't make the Opening Day roster, the O's will likely release him so he has a chance to make another team's roster.

Helling did not record a decision in either of the two postseason games in which he pitched last season. He threw four innings total against the Cardinals and allowed only one hit.

Helling's best season came in 1998, when he was with the Rangers. He went 20-7 with a 4.41 ERA in 33 starts and struck out a career-high 164 batters.

Becky Dubin Jenkins is an editorial producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

This was a really good signing for the Orioles.  Call me nuts, but they could shock everyone and finish 2nd in the division, but it would take a lot.

It would of been more likely had they signed Pudge.

Do you remember how horrible the O's were at the end of last season? No way they finish any higher than 4th. They haven't done anything of consequence to improve their team. The front office changes were needed, but that hasn't translated to the field yet.

This was a really good signing for the Orioles.  Call me nuts, but they could shock everyone and finish 2nd in the division, but it would take a lot.

Do you remember how horrible the O's were at the end of last season? No way they finish any higher than 4th. They haven't done anything of consequence to improve their team. The front office changes were needed, but that hasn't translated to the field yet.

But I also remember how they played pretty stinking good during the middle part of the season. They have some decent young players, but they missed out big time in free agency. They tried signing quite a few players and fell short.

I read an article once upon a time.....it said the Orioles wanted to increase their team OBP....so instead of resigning Bordick(though he isn't a big OBP guy) got Deivi Cruz, who's even worse than Bordick....and he hits worse than Bordick as well.

If they finished in 2nd place....I'd do something really strange.

But I also remember how they played pretty stinking good during the middle part of the season. They have some decent young players, but they missed out big time in free agency. They tried signing quite a few players and fell short.

I'm pretty sure they lost 32 of their final 36. That's beyond bad...that's cub like.

I'm pretty sure they lost 32 of their final 36. That's beyond bad...that's cub like.

And Angelo is worried about having a "second" major league team in that market. He should worry about getting one there to begin with. They really just went right in the crapper last year, and did nothing to improve.