Interesting Sox Notes

greasywheels121

Notes: Takatsu hits stride in relief

Right-hander has history of slow starts

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS - Less-than-impressive starts have been the norm, rather than the exception, during Shingo Takatsu's professional career.

Even as he amassed a Japanese career-record 260 saves over 13 years while pitching for the Yakult Swallows, the early days of the season always were the toughest for Takatsu. So, it's of little surprise to the sidearming right-hander that he has moved from the roster bubble during a rough Spring Training to one of the team's more reliable relievers 42 games into the 2004 season.

"I cared about making the team, but it didn't worry me much," said Takatsu, through interpreter Hiroshi Abei, regarding his Arizona struggles that almost had him starting with Triple-A Charlotte. "I just wanted a chance to have a good outing."

Takatsu received that particular opportunity and many more once he started producing. With two strong innings in relief of Mark Buehrle Friday night during an 8-2 victory over Minnesota, Takatsu increased his scoreless innings streak to 12 2/3 innings over his last 11 games. Takatsu has given up seven hits during that stretch and lowered his earned run average to 1.72.

Opponents are hitting .182 (10-for-55) against Takatsu, 10th best in the American League, while right-handers are 6-for-37 against Chicago's Far Eastern import. A great deal of Takatsu's success has to do with his improved command, not to mention the change in speeds from his 61 mph off-speed offerings to his 85 mph fastball.

But the biggest improvement for the 35-year-old veteran simply has come from learning how to set up American hitters, as opposed to the approach taken in Japan.

"Over in Japan, Shingo said those guys don't swing early in the count," said Buehrle of Takatsu. "If you throw the first pitch down the middle over there, they take it. They won't over here, and it's an adjustment he made. He has really turned it around."

"It has helped getting to know both of my catchers," added Takatsu, of his trust in Sandy Alomar Jr. and Miguel Olivo. "They have done a great job letting me know what pitches to make."

There doesn't seem to be many worries concerning teams figuring out Takatsu's unique arsenal the second time through the league. During a 140-game schedule in Japan, it was not uncommon to face a team more than 25 times in a season. Takatsu never seemed to be consistently figured out in more than one decade.

"I'm getting to know the hitters," Takatsu said. "It's an even relationship."

Injury update: Willie Harris remained out of the starting lineup Saturday, although White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said the second baseman/center fielder would be available later in the game for pinch-hitting or pinch-running duties. With left-hander Johan Santana starting Sunday for the Twins in the series finale, Harris will be on the bench once again.

But having spent four games out of the lineup following his collision with Magglio Ordonez Wednesday in Cleveland, Harris will be ready to go Tuesday in Chicago against Texas' left-hander, Kenny Rogers. Harris has one hit in 15 at-bats against left-handed pitching.

"I want him to be 100 percent and not take a chance on this grass," said Guillen of playing Harris at the Metrodome.

"If it's hurting, I will let them know," Harris added. "I just want to make sure I can go all out and not cheat the team. If I'm on first and the ball is in the gap for a double, I want to be able to score."

Injury update, Part II: After Thursday's examination by Dr. James Andrews, it was decided that Dan Wright will have his condition re-evaluated in two weeks. Wright, on Charlotte's disabled list since last weekend, had a precautionary MRI on both his right elbow and right shoulder.

Wright struggled both for the White Sox and the Knights. He was 0-4 with an 8.15 ERA in Chicago before being sent down on May 1, and his ERA approached 30.00 in two starts for Charlotte. He will not pitch in the interim.

Center of attention: The absence of Harris has produced extra at-bats for Timo Perez as the team's center fielder against right-handed pitchers. The left-handed hitting Perez started in each of the first three games of the Twins' series and had four hits and three RBIs.

Perez belted his first American League home run with one out in the fourth Friday against Carlos Silva, turning a four-run advantage into a comfortable six-run cushion. Acquired during Spring Training from the New York Mets for pitcher Matt Ginter, Perez already has come up with a couple of key hits for his new team.

"I don't expect him to hit home runs, but that was a big one last night," said Guillen of Perez. "He gave a big lift to the team. I just want him to give us good at-bats to help the team win the game.

"Timo is swinging the bat well, so, I'm going to stick with him right now. We have played well with this lineup, so I don't want to change things."

Guillen mentioned that Aaron Rowand, who is still considered the team's starting center fielder, will be back in the lineup Sunday against Santana. If Rowand can string together a few more successful at-bats and raise his .222 average, it will afford him more chances against right-handers, according to Guillen.

Down on the farm: Jeremy Reed knocked out two solo home runs among his three hits, and Bryant Nelson added four hits and five RBIs during Triple-A Charlotte's 10-9 victory at Pawtucket in 10 innings Friday.

Reed raised his average to .292, while Nelson is now hitting .314 with 26 RBIs as the Knights' second baseman. Tetsu Yofu, who was recently promoted to Charlotte, struck out 10 over six innings.

Darren Blakely launched two home runs and drove in four runs during Single-A Winston-Salem's 8-5 victory over Kinston. Brian Anderson also homered, his fourth, raising his average to .344 with 25 RBIs in 128 at-bats.