John Manuel on Sox prospects

dasox24

This isn't much info that we already don't know, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Q:  Rudy Schoppe from Itasca, Illinois asks:

What do you think of Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney?

A:  John Manuel: Well, they're both pretty good. Anderson's moving rapidly and holding his own in Double-A (hits in 15 of his 19 games). Sweeney is really coming on at Winston-Salem, hitting .388 in July with a current 10-game hitting streak. If Kenny Williams needs to make another move, they give him the outfield depth to move someone (as was the case with Jeremy Reed). They're probably the White Sox' top two prospects, I would imagine.

Q:  Heath from Lakeland, FL asks:

I've noticed that White Sox Supplemental 1st round pick Gio Gonzalez has been sharp in the Appy league. Would a late season promotion be possible for Gio?

A:  John Manuel: Gio is having a very impressive debut. It appears at Kannapolis, with Wes Whisler currently the fifth starter, that he doesn't have an opening at a higher level. Something would have to happen there to open up a spot for Gio.

And here's a little something on my favorite college baseball player, who'll be a sure 1st round pick next year. I'd love to have him in the Sox minor leagues, but hopefully he'll be gone before we pick. ;)

Q:  Jamo Pytlak from Chandler, AZ asks:

Where would Stephen Head rank on your early 2005 draft board?

A:  John Manuel: Stephen Head was a surprise omission from Team USA's roster. He looked a bit tired against Canada in the trials, but I thought he and Tyler Greene had done enough last summer and this spring to make the roster, and neither one made it. Head is a winner from all accounts, he's trimmed up his body and he has legitimate power. I think he'll rank as a possible first-rounder on our draft board, among the top 15 college players for next year's draft.