The age of Jose Contreras

SoxWatcher

This isn't a major point, but it is of some significance. I was wondering how old everyone thought Jose Contreras is. I read the article about Jose in the Sept. 29 CST in which Ozzie referred to him as "this kid." I wonder if Ozzie was joking. He is officially listed as 32 years old. Of course, everyone knows this is BS. He came out of Cuba and could say his age was whatever he wanted to say.

His age is of relevance because both Sox fans and Sox management is talking about how Jose needs to change how he pitches in order to become effective. He needs to not tip his pitches, throw more fastballs, get better control, get better command, etc. If he really were a kid, I'd be more likely to be optimistic that he can change how he pitches. But, he isn't a kid; therefore I'm not so optimistic. With Jose, what you see is what you got.

How old do you think he is? I'd put the over/under at 39. (bet the over)

I say about 34

You can say that again! :lol:

(I agree with you BTW - seems like 2 years is about right in terms of what these Cuban athletes lop off their ages)