INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUES

bogie

What are these Instructional leagues all about? My travels have taken me to a couple ML teams leagues in Arizona. What players play in these leagues?

By the name it sounds like some sort of fall league to work on different things.

Is this correct? Do the Sox have one?

Actually each ML team sends some players to a particular team. Usually a team is made up of 4 (IIRC) different teams players.

They are sent usually to either get IP/AB or work on specific skills ie learning a new position, new pitch, bunting, stealing, etc.

The Sox are sending guys to a team in AZ, I know there is a thread on here somewhere about the specific players being sent.

What you described sounds like the Arizona Fall League. I have been to those games. I think what i am talking about is something different.

On the broadcast last nite, Williams mentioned he is going to the Instructional League on Monday.

It is different than the Arizona Fall League.

The instructional league is where many of the young prospects go after the season, it's in Arizona. A lot of the guys who are assigned there are players who were in the short season leagues. There are intersquad games, simulated games, and lots of working on specific skills.

My understanding is the Sox hold their instructional camps at the spring training facility in Tucson. I don't know if any games are open to the general public.