SN Report: Wright in Question, Stewart Gets Nod

Chisoxfn

SN Report: Wright in Question, Stewart Gets Nod - For Now

By Mario Scalise

March 27, 2003

SoxNet.net

Danny Wright experienced pain in his pitching elbow on Wednesday, just two days after throwing two innings and about 30 pitches in a spring game. With his health in question, Jerry Manuel has reportedly informed 24-year-old lefty Josh Stewart that as of now he will start on Sunday, April 6 against the Tigers at USC Field.

Wright, 25, was shutdown earlier in the spring for elbow inflammation before returning last week. In 5 1/3 innings, not including the two innings pitched in a minor league game, Wright has compiled a 16.89 ERA.

Stewart, whose impressive fall league numbers brought him into spring training with a chance at making the rotation, is 2-0 this spring with a 2.04 ERA. In his start Wednesday, Stewart gave up one run in five innings.

Danny Wright will now likely go on the 15-day disabled list or stay in Arizona for extended training when the Sox fly to Kansas City. No word yet if surgery will be needed.

Jerry Manuel has reportedly informed 24-year-old lefty Josh Stewart that as of now he will start on Sunday, April 6 against the Tigers at USC Field.

Why would they start Stewart on Sunday? Wouldn't that be Buehrle's scheduled day? Or maybe pitch MB on Saturday and then go with Colon on Sunday. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Jerry Manuel has reportedly informed 24-year-old lefty Josh Stewart that as of now he will start on Sunday, April 6 against the Tigers at USC Field.

Why would they start Stewart on Sunday? Wouldn't that be Buehrle's scheduled day? Or maybe pitch MB on Saturday and then go with Colon on Sunday. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Not sure what JM has planned but it has been announced that MB will start the Season Opener and BC will start on 04/07 against Cleveland at BC's request. I think the way it will look is..... MB on 03/31, BC on 04/02, JG on 04/03, Loaiza on 04/04 (Sox Home Opener), MB on 04/05, Stewart on 04/06, and BC on 04/07. JMO though.

he has very good control, throws rather soft and at least from the angle I saw him at when I was down in spring training, he doesn't have the best of stuff.

BUT, stuff isn't anything. he's obviously put up the numbers and could be a pleasent suprise this year.