2 pages of the Sox at ESPN.com

Jabroni

Miguel Oliva will help shore up a weak and aging catcher position for the Mariners. And center fielder Jeremy Reed has a chance to follow in new teammate Ichiro's cleats as a potential American League Rookie of the Year candidate. Reed has never hit below .300 at any level in the minor leagues, and in an 18-game call-up to Seattle last September, he nearly hit .400 (.397, to be exact). He's a product of the baseball factory at Long Beach State -- remarkably, the "Dirtbags" were the only Division I college to offer Reed a scholarship. He went on to room there with last year's rookie of the year, Bobby Crosby.

Asked why the man who has been assured of being Seattle's Opening Day center fielder would still be sporting No. 58 on his uniform this late in spring training, Reed said, "That's the one they gave me when I got here." He'd prefer to have No. 8, which he wore with the U.S. national team, but Oliva has that number. Reed is also fond of the No. 20 since he batted .400 wearing that number for the White Sox's Double-A team (Birmingham), but that number is also taken, by reliever J.J. Putz.

How the hell do these espn editors manage to make so many mistakes?

Edited by rangercal

Also...

Chicago signed Orlando Hernandez to go along with in-season acquisitions Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia, sliding John Garland to the fifth spot in a rotation headed by Mark Buehrle.

Don't they mean Jon Garland? :headshake

Edited by Jabroni