Carlos Lee and Maggs

johndyce

I actually believe that at one time, CLee was higher on the depth chart than Maggs was.

Next year....Maggs will make $14 mill. CLee will make about $6 mill, max. I think we know who is higher on the depth chart now.

I don't know about you guys....but I would seriously like to trade this guy now before he gets too spendy. A guy that hits great for half a year is not worth $6 million, IMO. Use Dauber or Borchard in LF....whoever. Break up all the righties in the lineup....getting CLee would do that in a second.

I actually believe that at one time, CLee was higher on the depth chart than Maggs was. 

Next year....Maggs will make $14 mill.  CLee will make about $6 mill, max.  I think we know who is higher on the depth chart now.

I don't know about you guys....but I would seriously like to trade this guy now before he gets too spendy.  A guy that hits great for half a year is not worth $6 million, IMO.  Use Dauber or Borchard in LF....whoever.  Break up all the righties in the lineup....getting CLee would do that in a second.

No way does Caballo get 6 mill. He'll be lucky to get what he's getting right now. The times have changed in the majors and mediocre players aren't going to get big bucks. Look what Daubach got.

Next year....Maggs will make $14 mill.  CLee will make about $6 mill, max.  I think we know who is higher on the depth chart now.

I don't know about you guys....but I would seriously like to trade this guy now before he gets too spendy.  A guy that hits great for half a year is not worth $6 million, IMO.  Use Dauber or Borchard in LF....whoever.  Break up all the righties in the lineup....getting CLee would do that in a second.

No way does Caballo get 6 mill. He'll be lucky to get what he's getting right now. The times have changed in the majors and mediocre players aren't going to get big bucks. Look what Daubach got.

Lee's arb eligible. Shannon Stewart made like $4.5 mill last year....hit like .285 10 45 last year....a down year for him....and still got $6.2 mill in arb.

Lee will make about $6 mill....sad, but true.

Well, I don't think the Sox would ever go to arbitration with him. They'll offer him a contract, possibly, and it will be nowhere near that value.

Which is the exact reason I wanna trade him....and trading him for Shannon Stewart would be fine by me.

Well, I don't think the Sox would ever go to arbitration with him. They'll offer him a contract, possibly, and it will be nowhere near that value.

Which is the exact reason I wanna trade him....and trading him for Shannon Stewart would be fine by me.

I still love my idea of a Higginson for Caballo swap.

It doesn't matter what the Sox offer Carlos. It's like MB. If they want, they can offer him (MB) $1M, but in arbitration, he very well could get nearly $10M. The Sox will offer Carlos a contract, but if he doesn't accept it, it will go to arbitration, and if Stewart can get over $6M for his 2002 performance, C-Lee very well could get $6M awarded to him (assuming he turns his horrible start around, of course).

I don't think the Sox will let him go to arbitration.  They aren't going to offer him it.  He will either accept a contract or hit free agency. 

They can do that right?

Is he going to be a FA after this season? I was under the assumption that he was under contract beyond this year. I could be wrong.

But if he's going to be a FA, the Sox don't have to offer him arbitration, you're correct. But if he's signed beyond 2003 and is going to be arbitration eligible, the Sox don't have a choice as far as I know.

He's a free agent at the end of the season or at least I think he is. I know his contract is up, but I think we still have the right to offer him arbitration and he can't go anywhere, not even positive on that though.

I just don't think the Sox will offer him arbitration. Then again, they could offer it to him and eventually deal him.

He's a free agent at the end of the season or at least I think he is.  I know his contract is up, but I think we still have the right to offer him arbitration and he can't go anywhere, not even positive on that though. 

I just don't think the Sox will offer him arbitration.  Then again, they could offer it to him and eventually deal him.

I think this is all far too premature. We're only 2 weeks into the season, so I don't think we should worry about the off-season just yet. Also, Lee very well could turn it around and have a monster year and $6M would look like a bargain. Stranger things have happened.

Ya, I just am under the belief that either him or Frank will be gone and I don't have one problem losing them, all I ask is that we bring in a small ball type player to replace whoever we lose. I know Borchard will be one of the ones that replaces, but I also have no idea what happens with Rowand.

Ya, I just am under the belief that either him or Frank will be gone and I don't have one problem losing them, all I ask is that we bring in a small ball type player to replace whoever we lose.  I know Borchard will be one of the ones that replaces, but I also have no idea what happens with Rowand.

You wouldn't have a problem losing Frank? I sure would.

Frank is one of a FEW active players that will be in the HOF and have a shot at doing it all in 1 uniform. Jeter is another player that I can see making the HOF and never wearing anything other than the NY pinstripes. I would love nothing more than Frank to wear the Sox uniform for another 5 years and go in as a first ballot HOF'er.

If the Sox do well in 2003, there's NO reason why we can't keep Frank, sign Colon, lockup Buehrle, and add another big name (perhaps Tejada). Our payroll is already relatively low (around $60M), and the revenue that would come from a successful '03 would make us able to elevate that to around $75-$80M.

If we have to lose anyone, have it be Lee -- not Frank (the best player in franchise history).

all I ask is that we bring in a small ball type player to replace whoever we lose.  I know Borchard will be one of the ones that replaces

Also, if you're looking for a small ball player, Borchard is not the man for the job. :D

Ya, but I'm assuming that we will also be adding a new centerfielder and he could play that role. :)

As far as who goes, the worse player is who should go. If Frank isn't producing then I don't want him here, his attitude doesn't benefit this team and his contract would have him making more money. Now if he's playing good, then bring him back.

Bottom line Maggs is good, Lee is not, and we need a new CF.

I don't have a problem with Aaron so far this season. I think we need to give him a full season before making a judgement on his future with the Sox. Until then, the jury is out IMO.

Bottom line Maggs is good, Lee is not, and we need a new CF.

I don't have a problem with Aaron so far this season. I think we need to give him a full season before making a judgement on his future with the Sox. Until then, the jury is out IMO.

I agree we need to give Aaron time, but right now he looks lost at the plate. Of course everyone gets lost at one point or another during the season so I'm not worried. I do think that Rios is going to get a lot more time.

What exactly happens all depends on where this team is at the end of April to middle of May.

I think Aaron will do it hitting wise.

PK traditionally has diasterous Mays. Let's just hope that Aaron is off to a slow start and will get it going because he has shown the ability to do that. A slump period of a few weeks or ever a month (ala PK in May as a rule, or the 2nd half of all last season) is not reason to jettison a player. Patience counts in letting a player develope - it is a team game, we are winning, it is early, let the players get into their roles and normal games.

As a prospect Carlos was almost always rated higher, but that was only because Maggs wasn't considered much of a prospect. Once Maggs made it to the majors he hit and never stopped hitting and quickly people talked about him.

Carlos kind of lingered in the system and then he finally came up. Many thought he may not ever make it up with the Sox because he wasn't good enough defensively in 3rd and didn't know if he'd fit in in left. He fit in and started off damn good as well, always showing great bat speed.

No way Carlos was ever rated higher than Maggs.  Maggs has been in the bigs two years longer than Lee.  This is Lee's fifth season, so I believe he is eligible for arbitration at the end of this year.

didn't Mags go through the Rule 5 drafty maybe 5 times? No one (lucky for us!!!!) saw the potential. Mags was a late bloomer baseball wise and how good for us - but I do think there was a time when CLee was considered the better prospect.