Thomas sets franchise runs mark

greasywheels121

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thomas sets franchise runs mark

Wednesday's game-winning blast puts slugger past Appling

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- After 16 years as one of the featured performers for not just the White Sox but also the entire American League, it would be easy for Frank Thomas to forget a personal record or two that he has set during that particular time frame.

As an official service to the prolific slugger, his 1,320th run scored on Wednesday night, brought home by his game-winning home run in the 13th inning, marked his seventh major White Sox franchise record. Thomas surpassed Luke Appling in runs scored, while already sitting atop the charts in home runs (444), doubles (445), RBIs (1,452), total bases (3,924), extra-base hits (900) and walks (1,459).

Setting another White Sox mark was rewarding for Thomas. But it wasn't quite as exciting, in the moment, as breaking an 0-for-13 funk with his blast to left. His eighth home run in 52 at-bats followed five hitless trips to the plate.

"[Wednesday] was just one of those days -- the only way to describe it is like a double-bogey on every hole and then you leave with an eagle," said Thomas with a smile. "It was a rough day. Those guys made it tough on me, but I'm just happy I could help at the end.

"You've just got to make those adjustments and get used to seeing different pitches and keeping a good plan up there. You're going to get wild at times -- swing, swing, swing -- and I think I'm in one of those modes right now.

"I just want some hits, man," added Thomas, who was in the starting lineup for Thursday's rain-delayed series finale with the Tigers. "I don't like looking at the board and seeing [.231] up there."

Thomas remains positive, primarily because he doesn't have many at-bats. One good offensive spurt could quickly move his average from the .230s to .280 or .290.

The Tigers have shut down Thomas by busting him inside, a plan followed by many opposing teams over recent years. It's a plan Thomas understands and expects, to a point.

"I don't mind getting pitched up inside," Thomas said. "Just keep the ball away from my head. That's the only thing I get upset about."

There was a brief moment, during his first plate appearance on Wednesday against Jason Johnson, in which Thomas thought his chance to improve was done before it really got started. The Big Hurt fouled a Johnson sinker off of his left ankle, just below where the surgery was performed during the offseason to repair a fractured left navicular.

At the time of impact, and for a few minutes afterward, Thomas thought the foul ball might have re-fractured the area where the bone graft was performed. But with athletic trainer Herm Schneider's treatment after the game, Thomas was ready to go against Mike Maroth.

The slight hamstring strain suffered by Thomas has pretty much healed. But he always is cognizant of the ankle.

"It didn't help to drive a wedge right into my leg yesterday," Thomas said. "I thought I had really hit that spot.

"I've got a severe bruise there now, but I'll keep going. It seems like I just keep hitting this leg and keep banging on this leg. Every injury on this leg pulls from the ankle."

Thomas' presence in the lineup has far greater impact than simply padding stats for an already illustrious career. His numbers are Hall of Fame worthy as is, an observation made by Detroit manager Alan Trammell following Wednesday's game.

His addition, though, adds an extra burst of power to the middle of the balanced order and his keen batting eye gives other hitters a chance to see a few extra pitches. Basically, any concern about Thomas fitting in were almost instantly erased.

"No matter how he is going, good or bad, the other team focuses on him a lot," said first baseman Paul Konerko of Thomas. "I notice sometimes that I get a good pitch to hit because it seems like they put in so much energy to how they throw him, that there might be a letup afterward.

"Pitch him good or bad, and he will pick up hits and walks. He's a force."

To slightly broaden the scope of Thomas' accomplishments, including all of baseball, the 37-year-old ranks 29th all-time in home runs, 18th in walks, 49th in RBIs, 47th in extra-base hits, 76th in total bases and 99th in runs scored. And those numbers come with most of two seasons off the books due to injuries.

Aside from knocking out another 56 home runs, reaching 500 for his career, Thomas says those milestones don't mean nearly as much as winning a championship in 2005.

"I haven't played just to break records," Thomas said. "I still have a hunger to play.

"You don't lose track [of the records]. You just try to stay focused and not think about them."

Edited by greasywheels121