Podsednik to appear on ESPN News

aboz56

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
AddisonSt - as a record label owner, producer and recording artist myself, I would take you to task for your views on music piracy but I don't want to derail this thread.

I was born and rasied into the recording industry. My father was a record. exc. for many, many years and I have witnessed the travesties piracy produces firsthand...not to mention the many bands, producers, industry and other recording artists I have developed friendships with over the years. Whether its the artist, the record company/distributor or the fans themselves, piracy harms all. Let's start up a thread in SLAP some day.

In the meantime, let's get back on task. :gosox1:

PODS RULES! :D

As for piracy, I'll soap box this one. :) Starting with there are no good quality version of Batman Begins out there...they are all crap.

I only like DVD quality rips...not to mention I actually paid to see it at the movies. :D

As for music piracy...piracy has and always will exist and they will NOT stop it, not the RIAA not the MPAA, none of them, EVER. Most artists seem to become millionaires/make good money anyway, so big f'ing deal if their stuff gets stolen, at least it's being listened too...they can go cry me a river. Also, piracy does not stop people from actually purchasing quality, especially now that you can buy music by the song when you only want the one hit wonder rather than their entire crappy album. :)

As for software and movie piracy, same thing...more often than not, piracy is conducted by those who cannot afford it, IE, college/high school students, etc. I was once what you'd call a world ranked pirate in the BBS/beginning of the internet days -- now I buy almost all of my software since I have the money to do so.

:finger

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Any problems with film piracy?  I downloaded Batman Begins last night...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Any problems with film piracy?  I downloaded Batman Begins last night...

I do, maybe it's because I just graduated with a 4 yr degree in film. It's my hobby and something I'm thinking about going to grad school for so I can teach it. Right now, the Box Office is down this summer and some are predicting that theatres may be on the decline. Apparently, people just prefer to sit at home and watch a DVD. Also, hundreds of people work on a film and it takes a big Box Office draw for a movie to break even before DVD. Finally, theatres don't really make that much money, so they need filmgoers. And, finally finally, sitting on your computer watching a new release is no where near the same as going to a theatre and seeing the film.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
I do, maybe it's because I just graduated with a 4 yr degree in film.  It's my hobby and something I'm thinking about going to grad school for so I can teach it.  Right now, the Box Office is down this summer and some are predicting that theatres may be on the decline. Apparently, people just prefer to sit at home and watch a DVD.  Also, hundreds of people work on a film and it takes a big Box Office draw for a movie to break even before DVD.  Finally, theatres don't really make that much money, so they need filmgoers.  And, finally finally, sitting on your computer watching a new release is no where near the same as going to a theatre and seeing the film.

There's many factors involved in why people don't go to the movies. Tickets prices, the decline in quality movies and also the courtesy of other moviegoers (i.e. ringing cellphones, talking, crying babies) All of those factor into why there is a decline in movie attendance.

Also, most people don't sit in front of their computer to watch a movie. Usually, you convert it to VCD so it'll play on a normal DVD player.

Before seeing Revenge of the Sith this past summer, I hadn't been to a theatre in years for those particular reasons.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
There's many factors involved in why people don't go to the movies.  Tickets prices, the decline in quality movies and also the courtesy of other moviegoers (i.e. ringing cellphones, talking, crying babies)  All of those factor into why there is a decline in movie attendance.

Also,  most people don't sit in front of their computer to watch a movie.  Usually, you convert it to VCD so it'll play on a normal DVD player.

Before seeing Revenge of the Sith this past summer, I hadn't been to a theatre in years for those particular reasons.

Ticket prices are a problem, I normally go matinee to avoid the high prices. Decline of quality movies isn't really a valid complaint. There are plenty of good films every year. The problem is the average filmgoer doesn't recognize it (look at the top DVD sales and BO draws every year). The courtesy of moviegoers, I do have a huge problem with. I get so angry when people are rude in the theatre, I wish it was a misdemeanor. I'm serious too. I wish something could be done about assholes, but they are everywhere.

Box Office sales will soon go the way of music sales. How close to the theater experience is a good home theater these days?

Reportedly they will soon offer 13.1 sound systems to people who really want to buy them. That and progressive scan or HD-DVDs will soon make going to the theater a waste of money and time.

I can pause my movie at home. I don't have to put up with talking or somebody bumping into my chair. I can watch my movie over and over again, and eat whatever I want. The Loews by my house can keep raising their prices as much as they want, I know I don't have to go there anymore now that Star Wars is done.