Rumor Mongering

Balta1701

Well...since this is the internet...and I can always just blame bad sources or totally ignore this post if it doesn't happen...

I have read rumors from multiple sources that Chief Justice William Rehnquist may be ready to either make a major speech of some sort or simply outright announce his retirement tomorrow morning.

Here is one source. Naturally...since I'm a mere White Sox fan in California, I can't confirm this...but if you like paying attention to random rumors that rapidly circulate through the internet...here's a good one for you.

Republicans on the Judiciary Committee have let Senate Dems know that they should be prepared for Rehnquist to make a statement sometime between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. tomorrow morning and not to schedule anything during that time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Well...since this is the internet...and I can always just blame bad sources or totally ignore this post if it doesn't happen...

I have read rumors from multiple sources that Chief Justice William Rehnquist may be ready to either make a major speech of some sort or simply outright announce his retirement tomorrow morning.

Here is one source.  Naturally...since I'm a mere White Sox fan in California, I can't confirm this...but if you like paying attention to random rumors that rapidly circulate through the internet...here's a good one for you.

I don't know why he stayed on this long being that he's sick with cancer.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Wow....

I know you need to be careful about these things... but with the detailed information they state, it has the indicia of reliability.

I've also heard it from multiple sources and that suggests to me that something may be up as well...I don't know if they were independent ones, but none of the sources Judith Miller used for her Iraqi WMD reporting were independent either, so if the NYT can do it, why can't I?

Like I said...take it for what it's worth...I just like being the first to post things if I'm right about them.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't know why he stayed on this long being that he's sick with cancer.

There's at least been some suggestion that Rehnquist might be interested in a record...the longest serving court in history without any changes or vacancies ran something like 11 years or so...I believe that this group would hit that number this September if they stayed together. (O'Connor's resignation takes effect when her replacement is confirmed, not immediately or upon nomination, so there's still a shot it could happen)