Robert Valido

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Using steroids is obviously not a death sentence in the big leagues (Turnbow) but it sure does temper excitement. I have a hard time getting worked up about Valido

You guys are a trip and a half...

Valido made last season's All-Star team in Kanny before hitting a wall.

He's the best SS prospect in the organization and gets talked about regularly. Not sure why the original poster feels that he "gets no love"...

You guys are a trip and a half...

Valido made last season's All-Star team in Kanny before hitting a wall.

He's the best SS prospect in the organization and gets talked about regularly.  Not sure why the original poster feels that he "gets no love"...

Well I guess part of it is, there are really only a handful of guys who follow the prospects closely and as such, no one sees all the ink or positive comments on Valido.

On the steroids thing, I think he got caught with an energy drink type supplement, I don't think this guy was sticking a needle in his rear end. But who knows.

The question on Valido was always his bat, and it's one reason why he lasted until the 4th round. He is beginning to answer those questions and has managed to hit at a very promising rate in High A at age 20. I saw him play in Tucson and he is remarkably smooth for a 19 year old (at the time), plus he appeared to have excellent instincts. I didn't see him running the bases much but when he did, he knew what he was doing.

To be frank, this is one guy I hope they don't trade because the Sox have been so bad about developing SS and this guy looks like he could have a good chance to make it. He is big and getting stronger and should be durable, he has the defensive skills and is developing at the plate. All very good signs.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Well I guess part of it is, there are really only a handful of guys who follow the prospects closely and as such, no one sees all the ink or positive comments on Valido.

On the steroids thing, I think he got caught with an energy drink type supplement, I don't think this guy was sticking a needle in his rear end.  But who knows.

The question on Valido was always his bat, and it's one reason why he lasted until the 4th round.  He is beginning to answer those questions and has managed to hit at a very promising rate in High A at age 20.  I saw him play in Tucson and he is remarkably smooth for a 19 year old (at the time), plus he appeared to have excellent instincts.  I didn't see him running the bases much but when he did, he knew what he was doing.

To be frank, this is one guy I hope they don't trade because the Sox have been so bad about developing SS and this guy looks like he could have a good chance to make it.  He is big and getting stronger and should be durable, he has the defensive skills and is developing at the plate.  All very good signs.

I agree with everything you said. Word on the grapevine is that he was using a supplement which caused the positive test. Good shortstops who can field and hit are hard to find. He should be as untouchable as anyone in the minors.

Edited by ptatc