Midseason Acquisitions

CanOfCorn

When was the last time a team made a big splash before the deadline and won the World Series?

And I'm talkin' big name players, not multiple 2nd tier players.

I remember some big names moving, but not getting that team to the playoffs, am I missing anyone?

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
When was the last time a team made a big splash before the deadline and won the World Series? 

And I'm talkin' big name players, not multiple 2nd tier players. 

I remember some big names moving, but not getting that team to the playoffs, am I missing anyone?

Boston Red Sox in 2004: Moved Nomar Garciaparra, picked up Orlando Cabrera, both of whom were former All Stars. They also grabbed Mientkewicz.

The Marlins in 03 traded for Urbina from Texas, and also picked up Jeff Conine I believe from the Orioles as a backup.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Boston Red Sox in 2004:  Moved Nomar Garciaparra, picked up Orlando Cabrera, both of whom were former All Stars.  They also grabbed Mientkewicz.

The Marlins in 03 traded for Urbina from Texas, and also picked up Jeff Conine I believe from the Orioles as a backup.

I don't consider Urbina or Cabrera all-star type players. I think Dybber means multiple all-stars.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
Boston Red Sox in 2004:  Moved Nomar Garciaparra, picked up Orlando Cabrera, both of whom were former All Stars.  They also grabbed Mientkewicz.

Ehhhh, that was more addition by subtraction. I'm talking about adding. Like Randy Johnson to the Astros kind of thing. Urbina and Conine wouldn't do it for me, either.

I was just thinking that getting Schmidt, Burnett, or any of the other BIG names out there might not be the best thing for the Sox.

In 2000, the Yankees made a couple deals:

Traded Ricky Ledee, Jake Westbrook, and Zach Day to the Cleveland Indians. Received David Justice.

Traded Ed Yarnall, Drew Henson, Brian Reith, and Jackson Melian (minors) to the Cincinnati Reds. Received Mike Frank and Denny Neagle.

Traded Ben Ford and Oswaldo Mairena to the Chicago Cubs. Received Glenallen Hill.

The 99 Yankees big moves were trading for Clemens before the season and getting Leyritz from the Padres.

The big move for the 96 Yankees was: Traded Ruben Sierra and Matt Drews (minors) to the Detroit Tigers. Received Cecil Fielder - a key part of their title run.

The 97 marlins made a bunch of moves:

Traded Dustin Hermanson and Joe Orsulak to the Montreal Expos. Received Cliff Floyd.

Traded Billy McMillon to the Philadelphia Phillies. Received Darren Daulton.

Traded Mark Hutton to the Colorado Rockies. Received Craig Counsell.

I specifically avoided moves made before the season started, since I figured you were talking deadline deals.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
In 2000, the Yankees made a couple deals:

Traded Ricky Ledee, Jake Westbrook, and Zach Day to the Cleveland Indians. Received David Justice.

Traded Ed Yarnall, Drew Henson, Brian Reith, and Jackson Melian (minors) to the Cincinnati Reds. Received Mike Frank and Denny Neagle.

Traded Ben Ford and Oswaldo Mairena to the Chicago Cubs. Received Glenallen Hill.

The 99 Yankees big moves were trading for Clemens before the season and getting Leyritz from the Padres.

The big move for the 96 Yankees was: Traded Ruben Sierra and Matt Drews (minors) to the Detroit Tigers. Received Cecil Fielder - a key part of their title run.

The 97 marlins made a bunch of moves:

Traded Dustin Hermanson and Joe Orsulak to the Montreal Expos. Received Cliff Floyd.

Traded Billy McMillon to the Philadelphia Phillies. Received Darren Daulton.

Traded Mark Hutton to the Colorado Rockies. Received Craig Counsell.

I specifically avoided moves made before the season started, since I figured you were talking deadline deals.

Except for the Fielder and Justice deals, none of those are big splash deals. If I remember correctly, Justice had a real good postseason for the Yanks that year.