Sox GM likes his team's chemistry

greasywheels121

I like what he's saying.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Sox GM likes his team's chemistry

By Mark Gonzales

Ken Williams sounded skeptical about making a trade, even with plenty of time left before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline.

But the White Sox general manager cast more doubt over the possibility of a multi-player trade that could tinker with the chemistry and makeup of his 25-man roster.

"There are just too many pieces here," Williams told a crowd of reporters before Monday night's game with Detroit. "I understand, on paper, people don't see us as having that powerhouse-type club you want to see. But we've been a paper team for a number of years here, looked very good on paper and went home in October.

"… If you take one part away, you might be damaging that whole machine."

Williams' response comes at a time when published reports stated Florida was on the verge of completing a deal that would send pitcher A.J. Burnett, whom the Sox covet, slumping third baseman Mike Lowell and an outfield prospect to Baltimore for closer Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and pitching prospect Hayden Penn.

Williams often has cited team chemistry as a major reason why he is reluctant to move any of his regulars. But at the same time, Williams said he has continued to aim high in his quest to improve the Sox's chances for the postseason.

"Believe me, if there was an opportunity to add that special piece to this puzzle that wouldn't disrupt what was going on out there, believe me, we would be aggressive, and [we] have aggressively done that," Williams said. "But we're not going to do anything stupid and counterproductive.

"And everything out there to this date would be categorized just as that."

Williams wouldn't say if the Sox are looking exclusively at pitchers, but Sox scouts have been seen recently at games Burnett and Toronto's Ted Lilly have started.

But Williams has been encouraged by Jose Contreras' most recent outings as well as the healthy and successful return of left-handed reliever Damaso Marte.

"If you look at the open market, with what potentially you can do, it's just not conducive to us getting any better. If there's nothing significantly better out there, then we're better served going with these guys.

"What could be categorized as a major deal, I don't see that on our radar screen right now. It's just pretty evident it would cost us something that I don't think is very prudent."