Pujols trade

So there's a guy in one league I'm in who really wants Pujols (or says he does -- getting ahead). I have Pujols, and he proposes a ridiculous offer (Tejada, Giambi, and HERMANSON -- yeah, that was a laugh -- for Pujols and Francisco Cordero).

So the general question is, how do you value the top top players? (ARod, Pujols, Teixeira.) What's a fair price?

I don't mind trading Pujols. Trades make fantasy more fun, and I don't want it to become a dead league. If he is just in love w/ AP, that's fine. But I don't want to get screwed either. And I don't think the guy has much that could help me.

Mine / His

C J. López / IRod

1B A. Pujols / Giambi

2B C. Utley / Vidro

3B M. Mora / Ramirez

SS J. Reyes / Tejada

OF A. Huff / Griffey

OF J. Francoeur / Burnitz

OF B. Wilkerson / Swisher

Util L. Castillo / Jeter

BN J. Morneau / Nomar

BN R. Freel / Polanco

BN R. Baldelli / Kendall

BN I. Kinsler / R. Sanders

SP R. Harden / Mulder

SP C. Zambrano / Maddux

RP B. Ryan / Lidge

RP H. Street / KRod

P F. Cordero / Guardado

P M. González / Hoffman

P C. Orvella / Hermanson

BN P. Maholm / Morris

I mean, I have definite weaknesses (of, sp, maybe 3b). But I don't see how a trade could work.

So 2 questions: In general, how do you value the very best players? And is there any way I could get value for Pujols here?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
So there's a guy in one league I'm in who really wants Pujols (or says he does -- getting ahead).  I have Pujols, and he proposes a ridiculous offer (Tejada, Giambi, and HERMANSON -- yeah, that was a laugh -- for Pujols and Francisco Cordero).

So the general question is, how do you value the top top players?  (ARod, Pujols, Teixeira.)  What's a fair price?

I don't mind trading Pujols.  Trades make fantasy more fun, and I don't want it to become a dead league.  If he is just in love w/ AP, that's fine.  But I don't want to get screwed either.  And I don't think the guy has much that could help me.

Mine / His

C J. López / IRod

1B A. Pujols / Giambi

2B C. Utley / Vidro

3B M. Mora / Ramirez

SS J. Reyes / Tejada

OF A. Huff / Griffey

OF J. Francoeur / Burnitz

OF B. Wilkerson / Swisher

Util L. Castillo / Jeter

BN J. Morneau / Nomar

BN R. Freel / Polanco

BN R. Baldelli / Kendall

BN I. Kinsler / R. Sanders

SP R. Harden / Mulder

SP C. Zambrano / Maddux

RP B. Ryan / Lidge

RP H. Street / KRod

P F. Cordero / Guardado

P M. González / Hoffman

P C. Orvella / Hermanson

BN P. Maholm / Morris

I mean, I have definite weaknesses (of, sp, maybe 3b).  But I don't see how a trade could work.

So 2 questions:  In general, how do you value the very best players?  And is there any way I could get value for Pujols here?

Question 1: I tend to believe that the players at the top (arod, puhols, vlad) are somewhat overrated.... If you crunch the numbers on ESPN documented trades, you'll find that often people tend to overpay for these premier players. If you have depth at a position, (say you had Konerko) you could probably rake it in for Pujols.

Question 2: I understand that you are willing to trade Pujols... but looking at the two teams here, I would rule out a trade with this guy involving pujols. Virtually none of his players are so substantially better than yours as to warrant a deal. Melvin Mora is not a weak spot. Mora's been pretty damn good over the past few years... and he's fairly reliable. Say Aramis hits 34 hrs this year... I still bet Mora hits 27, steals ten bags, scores more, and hits for a higher average.

Your opponents team sucks. Look to deal with someone who has depth at OF or SP and could give you a reasonable replacement 1b ranked somewhere between 8 and 15 among 1b (e.g. delgado, konerko, berkman, helton, etc.).

If someone in the league has a little depth, and is maybe looking to trade away from injury possibilities (for the reliable pujols) you could get some pretty good value for him. I say a Ben Sheets type Pitcher and a Paul Konerko type firstbaseman is probably a high, yet realistic type deal for pujols

Thanks, Sausage King. That's pretty much what I'm thinking.

I like Mora mora and mora the mora I think about it, although I wasn't too happy when I made the pick. Still, he's a little older, a little up-and-down (his season averages have been between .230 and .340 -- that's amazing unpredictability), and Ramirez is in the prime of his career. But you're right, it's a small improvement.

Actually I was thinking of trying to land Sheets. Though I'm a little worried about injuries now.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 25, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Thanks, Sausage King.  That's pretty much what I'm thinking.

I like Mora mora and mora the mora I think about it, although I wasn't too happy when I made the pick.  Still, he's a little older, a little up-and-down (his season averages have been between .230 and .340 -- that's amazing unpredictability), and Ramirez is in the prime of his career.  But you're right, it's a small improvement.

Actually I was thinking of trying to land Sheets.  Though I'm a little worried about injuries now.

nice catch on my name... i'm a big ferris bueller fan.

Thats just one man's opinion. I don't profess to be a fantasy baseball guru. But this is my sixth season, and I spend a borderline sad amount of time getting ready for the fantasy baseball season

i also imagine u are ina 10 or 12 team league because u dont have any holes on your team....if u were in a 16 or 18 team league, trading pujols to upgrade at anothe rposition and still not losing too much behind pujols, then it would be ok, but your team is set

Thx, all. Some followup -- I reject the trade, and I include a short explanation, along the lines of, 'Tejada doesn't help me much when I have Reyes and I need steals somewhere. Overall, I don't think we match up well for a trade' -- polite. He sends another trade proposal, Giambi & Vidro for Pujols (!!!), and an all caps message, "IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS OFFER MAKE ME ONE". Lol, what a sweet kid his parents have.