White Sox on the Radio

JoeBatterz

I thought I might share my experience as a White Sox fan in Nashville and the total difference in atmosphere compared to Chicago. If there are any other Sox fans in Nashville, send me a message and we can flood the local airwaves with Sox Talk.

:gosox3:

From the Sport Syndicate

Since the World Champs open their defense of their World Series Championship on Sunday evening, I decided to call (as "Chicago") The Morning Sports Page here in Nashville and talk a little baseball with Greg Pogue and David Coleman. Both guys will pretty much let their callers bring up any sports topic and I listen to them every morning. They do keep things clean and do not get into the shouting matches that those of us from Chicago are used to on the Score and MVP ESPN 1000. I have to remind myself to dial it down a notch every time I call. Sometimes what we consider passion in Chicago might be confused for yelling, lol.

Things were quite humorous this morning as I am pretty much the only guy in Nashville who cares about the White Sox, especially at this time of the year. In fact, you could tell in Greg's voice this morning that he was just being polite and humoring me. We briefly discussed who might come out of the NL to face the White Sox with Greg picking the Cardinals and David picking the Braves. I threw out the Mets as a possibility and they both thought they were overrated.

Next, I asked them to give me a gut check on the White Sox so I can can get an outsiders view. Greg really liked the pitching staff of the Sox starting with Halladay, Burnett, and Lilly with BJ Ryan as the closer. HUH?!

I was like ummm are we talking about the Blue Jays now? hehehe. To Greg's credit, and he is a baseball fan normally, he went to the web real fast to discuss the Sox with me and he hit the Blue Jays by mistake. He then brought up the Sox and talked about our great staff led by Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia and Vazquez along with the acquisition of Thome etc... I chimed in a bit more about the great job Kenny Williams has done over the past 2 year as well as the Indians and the Wild Card race and that was pretty much it.

Right after that, they had another caller who told Greg that he could hear it in his voice, but he would say it for him, "Who gives a flying **** about baseball right now?" I did bust out laughing in my car at hearing that. His Hillbilly (Do you capitalize Hillbilly?) accent made it even funnier, but who am I to talk about accents down here, they all think I am in the mob when I open my mouth. He then went on to say that he did not even know that the White Sox won the World Series until just now. The guys did give him the business about that. Puhlease, as Ditka would say "Who you crappin!?" Of course, Nashville is not a Sports town like Chicago, so he might have been telling the truth.

I figure I will call again on Monday and give the guys the first of my 162 game review reports about the White Sox and their quest to repeat. I wonder how long they keep taking my calls. At least I did not bring up my fantasy baseball team ;-)

You are correct about Nashville Sports and they really do not even sell out for the Preds despite how well they are doing.

That's all right, I will have the MLB.TV package for the White Sox and all the guys here at Sox Talk to keep me in the loop with what is going on in Chicago.