White Sox roll in opener

RME JICO

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox roll in opener

Thome hits first homer; McCarthy picks up win

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Neither euphoria from a pregame unfurling of the 2005 White Sox World Series championship banner nor a deluge of seemingly biblical proportions could delay the South Siders from their appointed rounds Sunday night in a 10-4 victory over the Indians at U.S. Cellular Field.

Actually, not much seems to have changed from a White Sox team that won 99 games last season and thoroughly dominated their biggest challengers from the American League Central, winning 14 of 19 head-to-head battles with the Indians. A sold-out crowd of 38,802 was treated to Ozzie Guillen's usual brand of small ball, with Brian Anderson and Jermaine Dye both swiping bases, not to mention great situational hitting up and down the order.

Mark Buehrle was limited to four innings of work because of a two-hour, 57-minute delay, ending a streak of 64 straight starts in which he pitched at least five innings. But Brandon McCarthy (1-0) more than picked up the slack on the mound, as the lanky right-hander worked three perfect innings, striking out two in the process.

There was one noticeable difference. Unlike last year's taught 1-0 White Sox victory in the season opener over the Indians, a game decided by a fly ball to right and an error on shortstop Jhonny Peralta, the 2006 White Sox hit the ball with authority. Cleveland aided the cause with nine walks in the damp conditions, and three errors in the field, but the host squad didn't need much help.

On a night when the White Sox celebrated the past but maintained a clear focus on the future, it seemed only fitting that the new and the old guard both contributed. Dye finished with three hits, two of the infield variety, and reached base in all four plate appearances. Tadahito Iguchi, who struggled mightily during Spring Training, drove in two runs with a single and a sacrifice fly.

But it was the return home of Jim Thome, the Peoria, Ill., native, which pardon the pun, stole the thunder. Thome came back to haunt his old teammates with a mammoth first-pitch, two-run home run off of reliever Fernando Cabrera, just moments after the tarp was removed, giving the White Sox a comfortable 6-3 advantage in the fourth.

Thome's 431-foot blast was his first home run since June 23 of last season against the Mets. Thome's long ball was No. 431 of his career, tying Cal Ripken Jr. for 35th place on the all-time list. He also hit his 19th career home run at U.S. Cellular Field, but his first against his former team.

"It brought back very fond memories," said Thome of his ultimately game-deciding home run off of Cabrera. "I have a lot of respect for everyone over there."

"I don't want to get started on that guy," added an amazed Anderson of Thome. "That guy has Nintendo power, Nintendo-like pop in his bat. Every time he swings, I think the ball is leaving the yard."

The White Sox continued to pile on with three more runs in the fifth off of Cabrera and Matt Miller. Dye walked to lead off the inning, swiped second base and scored on A.J. Pierzynski's single to right. Anderson followed two batters later with a single to center, through the drawn-in infield, scoring both Pierzynski and Joe Crede.

Before the final out was recorded on Aaron Boone's line out to Rob Mackowiak in left, both Cliff Politte and Matt Thornton got work out of the bullpen. Alex Cintron and Ross Gload also came in off the bench, along with Mackowiak.

Guillen made a point of signaling out McCarthy's effort after the victory, even with Thome getting a deserved share of the attention. The right-hander took the mound after the White Sox grabbed the lead and needed only 48 pitches to get through his three innings.

It's not likely that a middle reliever, such as McCarthy, will get much work during Buehrle's starts. Nonetheless, he was ready to be called upon after the delay.

"I don't plan for outings like this," McCarthy said. "The thought process is prepare yourself every day. If you are called upon, then throw. If not, work for the next day."

"Great job, wow," added Guillen of McCarthy. "He was the star of the game. He did a tremendous job. He saved my bullpen."

The Indians not only had to endure the pregame festivities, watching the White Sox celebrate last year's historic accomplishments, but they also suffered another setback to the South Siders. The White Sox have won four straight against the Indians, dating back to last year, when they swept Cleveland at Jacobs Field to close out the regular season and eliminate the Indians from the playoffs.

So, do the White Sox have the Indians' number, much like the job the A's do yearly on the champs? It's too early to make such a judgment, according to most White Sox players.

It's also too early to declare the White Sox a changed team after Sunday's outburst.

"It's the way we played today, but it's only one game," Buehrle said. "Is this making a statement? It's one game. We played well and they didn't play that well. We have to do the same thing the next couple of days."

"As far as one team having another team's number, I don't believe in that," Pierzynski added. "You get breaks sometimes and sometimes you don't. I'm sure tonight is a fluke game, a weird game with all the rain. We won one game and we have a lot more to go."

Gotta love Anderson's comments about Thome. Also, I like the mentality of the team. They are really out to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Edited by RME JICO