Sean Smith Interview

Heads22

I highly suggest any of you who are in the WS area register for their email newsletter.....there's always a trivia question at the bottom that can be easily answered for two box seats. Would seem like a pretty painless way to score some tix. I've heard nice stuff about Ernie Shore Field. They also have free Wi-Fi, plus they typically sport some Sox prospects.

WARTHOG WATCH

Q & A with Sean Smith – Centerfielder for the Warthogs

Warthogs Centerfielder Sean Smith

Sean Smith is the centerfielder for the Warthogs and the leadoff hitter in the batting order.  He was originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 15th round of the 2000 June Draft.  After five productive seasons in the Pirates organization, Smith was selected by the White Sox in the Rule 5 Minor League Draft in 2004.  Last year, Smith led Kannapolis in stolen bases, while hitting .281 with 14 HR’s and 62 RBI in 110 games.  Born in Beverly Hills, California, Smith relocated to Illinois, where he graduated from Joliet Central High School in 2000.

So far, how are you enjoying Winston-Salem? 

I think it’s great.  The fan support is picking up.  The opening Thursday was pretty good and it seems like everybody loves the game of baseball here and it’s a great field….especially to hit in.

You initially started your career in the Pirates organization.  Is there any difference between the Pirates and White Sox organizations? 

Both are first class organizations and they both have a lot of talent in their minor league organizations.  Obviously, the White Sox have done better in the big league aspect.  Professional baseball is baseball.  You still have to go out there and get your work done and then play hard and try to make it to the big leagues.

Having played on a bunch of different teams in your young career, how difficult is it to become familiar with different pitchers, coaches and teammates? 

When you are younger, I think it is a little more difficult.  As you get a little bit older, I am 23 now, every pitcher is going to throw strikes regardless of what kind of stuff he has.  I try to take the same kind of mental approach to everybody, just so you don’t screw yourself up any.  Baseball by itself is hard enough mentally, so you want to simplify the situation to try to make it as easy as possible.

Having led Kannapolis in stolen bases last year, and being off to such a good start on the base paths this season…do you have the green light all the time once you reach base? 

Yeah, I have the green light right now and hopefully it will stay the whole season if I don’t do anything dumb.  I kind of made a boo-boo the other day on third base.  I worked out to our advantage because I was safe, but I think I am more of a table setter guy.  I am not going to be the guy who hits 20 or 30 home runs, but any way I can help the team…little things in the dugout, on the field stealing bases.  I just have to take advantage of what the Lord blessed me with.

Once you reach first base, walk me through the process and the things you look for in the pitcher that is going to allow you to steal a base? 

For the most part, I kind of get that itch on the inside because I want to go regardless of who is out there.  Sometimes pitchers are really fast to the plate and depending on the situation and the score, you have to time it.  I look for certain things in different pitchers.  The other day or two days ago, we had a pitcher that was real quick to the plate and I decided not to rush anything.  That is when our coach picked it up and decided to put on a couple of hit-and-runs on, so it kind of balances out.

What did you do this past offseason? 

I worked out in Scottsdale (Arizona) for three weeks before the season.  I went out to Tucson (Arizona) a little bit early to try and get some extra work in because I have been around minor league ball for awhile and I am just trying to make it to the big leagues.  I think, by far, this is my best offseason and I came here in great shape and hopefully we can win another championship.

I heard that you made an appearance in the Fox TV series Prison Break…how did that come about? 

They had an open casting call in the city of Joliet, which is where the prison was and where they shot the series.  Actually, I missed it, but I sent in a head shot and a body shot and I got picked.  It was great though.  It was really great.

Is acting something you might try after your playing days are over? 

I wish I could do it during the offseason because I would love to be an actor.  I think I’m kind of the character of the team.  I am an entertainer and I want to be on television.  I want to play ball first and foremost, but life after baseball…you never know.  I kind of want to model too, but we will see what happens.