The Talks

CubKilla

With the talk of Lidle for C Lee (or if you're Gammons Lidle for Johnson), Matt Williams for Larry Walker between AZ and COL, Glavine and Thome going to the Phillies etc., has anybody heard any interest in one of the self-proclaimed upper-echelon SS defensively in baseball Royce Klayton being offered a contract to play with anyone? :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by CubsSuck1

Now lets not pick on royce, he did what he was signed to do, play defense. I dont think anybody was expecting him to hit .320 with 25 home runs. yes hit did start off slow with the bat in his 2 seasons here,  but i remember him playing SS much better fielding wise than Valentin.

I felt obligated to respond to this because it's not totally accurate. Our "wise, brilliant, etc." GM traded Aaron Myette I believe for K-Layton, we didn't sign him. I can't figure out what would be worse. Signing K-layton or trading for him. Either way, anyone who knows anything would know beforehand that he is horrible and a cancer in the clubhouse. Royce should take the salary the Sox paid him and split it between the Sox ticket owners who paid to see him hit .056 with a hit once every 17 games.

I say the mods make a new rule: NO MORE MENTIONS OF K-LAYTON or you're off the board!

Well I will always say Clayton is bad, but Manos is bad too.

I think Royce was a big scape goat, and yes, he did stink while he was here and he's drastically overpaid, but I still think Manos is bad as well, not quite as bad as Royce, but he's still bad in my book.

Of course I've been saying this the past year and a half, lol.

And a lot of the time it heats up and puts a giant hole through his bat. He's just about as streaky a hitter as Royce, with one exception, when Manos is on he's hitting homers and doubles. Royce typically was hitting singles to opposite field. He couldn't pull the ball for the life of him.

Originally posted by sec159row2

you thought clayton was bad...  wait till you see your beloved jose valentin this spring ....  the under/over on his errors next summer is 43....  if he makes it to the summer.....   

I'd take the under for the simple reason that I got a feeling either Hummell or Harris steps up and the Sox eventually move Jimenez over to short.

Originally posted by CubKilla

With the talk of Lidle for C Lee (or if you're Gammons Lidle for Johnson), Matt Williams for Larry Walker between AZ and COL, Glavine and Thome going to the Phillies etc., has anybody heard any interest in one of the self-proclaimed upper-echelon SS defensively in baseball Royce Klayton

I just saw the Padres fans complaining about this yesterday. Ya really gotta feel for them...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sport...1s14bbmeet.html

Went to the site, but I couldn't see anything mentioning Royce.

I do see they are desperate for a catcher, so maybe they'd be interested in giving us Brian Lawrence or Vazquez in return for Mark Johnson. If we got Lawrence we'd have to give up a bit more then Johnson, but if they are in a bind, it could be good thinking.

Peavy and Tankersly are more highly regarded than Perez, but both struggled last season.

Here's the books on Peavy and Tank FYI.

Strengths: Tankersley can throw four pitches for strikes, and most of them are nasty. He can reach the mid-90s with his four-seam fastball, and his sinking two-seamer arrives in the low 90s. Hitters can’t sit on his fastball because he has a mid-80s slider that was rated the best breaking ball in the Cal League.

Strengths: One veteran Padres scout says Peavy is the closest thing to Greg Maddux he has seen, and Double-A Southern League managers seconded that comparison. Peavy puts the ball wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He uses a lively low-90s fastball, a slider and a changeup.

Ya, I'm familiar with them. Go to a few Padres games a year.

The thing I liked about Perez was the fact he really showed his skills at the major league level.

Padres got some great prospects, especially when it comes to power hitters and pitchers. I think their GM, Kevin Towers, is one of the best in the business.

Of course he is actually considering going with Royce Clayton at shortstop.