Alomar and Weaver

Joel

1st let me say that Peter awnsered my question live today on ESPNEWS. The question was does he think Alomar will be traded and if so could it be to the White Sox.

He said that he probaly will be traded this week to either the Expos, Sox, or Royals(This old news.) The problem with us is that the Mets what the same prospect as the Yanks who we are also tring to make a deal with. And the person we want from them is Weaver. I am guessing that the prospect is Cotts but not sure.

So I guess the question is who do you want more Waever or Alomar. Me its Alomar he helps us in 2 diffrent places that we need help. Defense and hitting in the top of the order.

I know most of you don't want to trade Cotts, but to me it doesn't matter. 1st you never know how a minor leaguer will pan out, 2nd you never know if he will have amjor arm injury or not. And with our history with arms and wouldn't be suprsided if it happened

If you are trading Cotts, I think it has to be Weaver. Alomar is getting up there is age, and Weaver has a chance to get back to were he was with the Tigers. I can't stand Weaver, I don't think anyone likes him. I wouldn't trade Cotts for either.

1st let me say that Peter awnsered my question live today on ESPNEWS.  The question was does he think Alomar will be traded and if so could it be to the White Sox.

He said that he probaly will be traded this week to either the Expos, Sox, or Royals(This old news.)  The problem with us is that the Mets what the same prospect as the Yanks who we are also tring to make a deal with.  And the person we want from them is Weaver.  I am guessing that the prospect is Cotts but not sure.

So I guess the question is who do you want more Waever or Alomar.  Me its Alomar he helps us in 2 diffrent places that we need help.  Defense and hitting in the top of the order. 

I know most of you don't want to trade Cotts, but to me it doesn't matter.  1st you never know how a minor leaguer will pan out, 2nd you never know if he will have amjor arm injury or not.  And with our history with arms and wouldn't be suprsided if it happened

I WANT LUIS CASTILLO DAMMIT!!! LOL.

I don't want the Sox to give up Cotts, not yet anyway. Especially to the f***in Yankees!!!

:fyou The Skankees!!!

CWSOX45

If you are trading Cotts, I think it has to be Weaver. Alomar is getting up there is age, and Weaver has a chance to get back to were he was with the Tigers. I can't stand Weaver, I don't think anyone likes him. I wouldn't trade Cotts for either.

I agree with you on Weaver. I don't understand why KW even wants him. Because right now we do have 5 good starters who are all pitching better than Weaver right now. Also we have a lot of young pitchers who could come up and start for us if we needed them to.

But on Alomar I disagree I think he would be a huge addition to the team. Even if he doesn't hit but .260 he will still be a major upgrade at 2nd and would help the pitchers out tremendusly with his defense. Also he is a guy who could take over the leadoff duties from harris and let him move down to the 9th spot where he won't have as much pressure on him.

On Cotts I agree he is a good pitcher but you have to give something to get something. That deal with the Expos was an rare occasion. And we did have to give up Biddle who has 20 plus saves.

I don't see the infatuation or the need, rather, for Jeff Weaver. The Sox starters are near the top of the AL in quality starts and that includes MB's first half. If Buehrle has a solid 2nd half and Loaiza doesn't bottom out, I think Colon, Garland and Wright will only be better. Especially if the offense picks it up.

You can certainly make a case for Alomar. But I just don't see it with Weaver.

I don't see the infatuation or the need, rather, for Jeff Weaver.  The Sox starters are near the top of the AL in quality starts and that includes MB's first half.  If Buehrle  has a solid 2nd half and Loaiza doesn't bottom out, I think Colon, Garland and Wright will only be better.  Especially if the offense picks it up.

You can certainly make a case for Alomar.  But I just don't see it with Weaver.

Again I agree with you on Weaver. All 5 of our starts are pitching better than him right now, so it really makes no since.

I don't see the infatuation or the need, rather, for Jeff Weaver.  The Sox starters are near the top of the AL in quality starts and that includes MB's first half.  If Buehrle  has a solid 2nd half and Loaiza doesn't bottom out, I think Colon, Garland and Wright will only be better.  Especially if the offense picks it up.

Again I agree with you on Weaver. All 5 of our starts are pitching better than him right now, so it really makes no since.

Than again it is Kenny Williams..... :huh:

CWSOX45

1st let me say that Peter awnsered my question live today on ESPNEWS.  The question was does he think Alomar will be traded and if so could it be to the White Sox.

He said that he probaly will be traded this week to either the Expos, Sox, or Royals(This old news.)  The problem with us is that the Mets what the same prospect as the Yanks who we are also tring to make a deal with.  And the person we want from them is Weaver.  I am guessing that the prospect is Cotts but not sure.

So I guess the question is who do you want more Waever or Alomar.  Me its Alomar he helps us in 2 diffrent places that we need help.  Defense and hitting in the top of the order. 

I know most of you don't want to trade Cotts, but to me it doesn't matter.  1st you never know how a minor leaguer will pan out, 2nd you never know if he will have amjor arm injury or not.  And with our history with arms and wouldn't be suprsided if it happened

If Robbie goes to the Royals......i'd be shocked...thats alot of payroll to add to KC's financially strapped situation.

On Cotts I agree he is a good pitcher but you have to give something to get something.  That deal with the Expos was an rare occasion.  And we did have to give up Biddle who has 20 plus saves.

Big difference there. Cotts is a top prospect and Biddle, although he is now having success, was nothing more than a spare part who the Sox never found a role for. He would never have been given the opportunity to close with the Sox, so the comparisons to how he is doing now don't work.

Cotts is a potential top of the rotation starter and a LH. The Sox have enough depth that they can hold onto Cotts. I guess we'll see how good of a poker player KW (or whoever is making the decisions) is and we'll see if they will hold out and not give out too much.

If Robbie goes to the Royals......i'd be shocked...thats alot of payroll to add to KC's financially strapped situation.

Peter said that the Mets would pay his full salary. So the Royals wouldn't have to pay anything.

Than again this is the same Peter Gammons that said the Giants would trade Russ Ortiz to the Sox....remember?

CWSOX45

If I recall corrrectly, the Sox thought they had a deal done for Ortiz. I can't remember what held it up. If it was just that Atlanta came in and made a stronger offer or if it was something else.

Than again this is the same Peter Gammons that said the Giants would trade Russ Ortiz to the Sox....remember?

CWSOX45

you have a great point there. I hope he is wrong on Weaver and right on Alomar.

I hope to god he is, the only player I want added to the Sox is Castillo. Than again I wouldn't mind Alomar. We better not give up Cotts for him though.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

you have a great point there. I hope he is wrong on Weaver and right on Alomar.

I hope to god he is, the only player I want added to the Sox is Castillo. Than again I wouldn't mind Alomar. We better not give up Cotts for him though.

CWSOX45

Well I don't think we will be able to Castillo till atleast the trade deadline because of the way the Marlins are playing right now. (They are either .500 or a game above or below .500.) and that may be to late. Alomar will help us right now.

I just don't like not making a trade because you don't want to trade a minor leaguer who hasn't proved anything in the majors. Especially a pitcher who has a bigger chance of an serious injury than a postion player. And it would really suck if the Royals were able to come up with him, and then with them he goes on to hit .300 and leads them to the playoffs.

I don't see us needing Weaver either. We have 5 decent starters and more in the minors if we needed to bring somebody up. I could see Alomar, but not for Cotts or any other top prospect.

CWSOX45

If I recall corrrectly, the Sox thought they had a deal done for Ortiz. I can't remember what held it up. If it was just that Atlanta came in and made a stronger offer or if it was something else.

It was reported that the deal was as good as done until the braves offered Damian Moss.....

so Gammons was right on that one... just things changed real quick.

CWSOX45

It was reported that the deal was as good as done until the braves offered Damian Moss.....

so Gammons was right on that one... just things changed real quick.

You are right. The trade was ready to be signed off on and done.

I'm surprised Kris Honel's name hasn't come up.  I wouldn't trade him either, but would consider giving up Ryan Wing in the right deal.  I just don't think Weaver is the right deal.

Maybe there is a 3 way trade going on. With the Sox, Yanks, and Mets.

Sox get

Alomar

Prospect from the Yanks or Mets

Mets get

Cotts

Weaver

Yanks get

Jermey Burnitz.

I haven't seen this suggested anywhere just something I have thought of.

But it works for all 3 teams. Sox get Alomar to sure up thier defense and leadoff postion, plus a prospect. Mets get 2 young pitchers to help thier rebuilding. And the Yanks get a power hitting LF to sure up thier weakest postion since 1995.

I know it would be hard to imagine the Yanks and Mets doing a deal together but you never know.

I'm too lazy to read all the posts here, but as far as Weaver. IF we were to get him, it could be a good move in that we can then move Wright to the pen, where many feel he can be more successfull at and of course, our bullpen could use the help.

I think getting Weaver also depends on IF we keep Colon. if we make a trade for either, we are showing we are in the race, which means we won't trade Colon, which means he'll likely depart in the off-season with us getting no immediate pitching help, so getting Weaver could help in the long run, while Alomar will be filling a position this year as we have Jimenez, Harris, Miles and Hummell at second. none of them are great, but anyone of them can come through and make it in the majors.