Kenny Rogers on the 15 Day DL

The Ginger Kid

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Detroit Tigers placed left-hander Kenny Rogers on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his elbow. The move was made retroactive to Thursday.

Rogers is 3-2 with a 5.23 ERA in just six starts this season. The four-time All-Star missed the Tigers' first 71 games after undergoing surgery on March 30 to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries. This is the third time the 42-year-old has been on the DL in his 19-year big league career.

In his previous start Wednesday at Chicago, Rogers allowed four homers and seven runs over four innings and did not get a decision in the Tigers' 13-9 victory over the White Sox. He has allowed 17 earned runs in his last three starts, spanning just 15 1/3 innings.

Rogers was 17-8 with a 3.48 ERA last year and won all three of his postseason starts while not allowing a run in 23 innings for the AL champions.

Jordan Tata will be recalled from Triple-A Toledo on Monday to make his first big league start against the Oakland Athletics in Rogers' place. The 25-year-old right-hander made eight relief appearances for the Tigers last season, allowing 10 earned runs over 14 2/3 innings.

Their rotation is in trouble, not to mention their bullpen. They can slug it out with teams to win the division or wild card, but come playoff time they're going to need the same kind of pitching they got last year.

Would Kenny ever make a trade with a division rival? I'd bet we could get a lot for Garland or Javy.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
Their rotation is in trouble, not to mention their bullpen. They can slug it out with teams to win the division or wild card, but come playoff time they're going to need the same kind of pitching they got last year.

Would Kenny ever make a trade with a division rival? I'd bet we could get a lot for Garland or Javy.

The Tigers this season are starting to look a LOT like the Chicago White Sox circa 2006.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Too bad. If only the Sox could be more consistent now...

CLE and DET are looking lackluster right now, which is not to say either or both won't turn it around. But as of right now, a team 6 or 7 games back would be primed for a run at either of them. But I think Minny's too far back and playing too inconsistent to do it.

I get so pissed when I look at how bad the sox played in June against all those weak ass teams. That was their chance to get back in it. If they were five or six back right now...

Edited by The Ginger Kid