slingbox

kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
Do any of you have a slingbox? If so, are you satisfied with it?

The technology is pretty cool, actually.

I just wonder if they will jack up the prices now that Dish Network (EchoStar) has bought them out?

I bought it a few months back and returned it the next day. I bought it so I could watch stuff on my pocketpc phone but I couldn't get it to stream more than a frame or two every 5 seconds. It could be my network (the old Cingular...not Edge) though.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
I bought it a few months back and returned it the next day. I bought it so I could watch stuff on my pocketpc phone but I couldn't get it to stream more than a frame or two every 5 seconds. It could be my network (the old Cingular...not Edge) though.

I would think that it would be a little difficult to stream onto a phone, but that's just me.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I would think that it would be a little difficult to stream onto a phone, but that's just me.

That's one of it's big marketing points.

I might pick up Sony's version - Location Free Player I think it's called. I have a ps3 and psp, soon the ps3 will be become a dvr and the location free player will send it out to the web which can be picked up either by a computer or my psp.

Anyone else feel like that technology has been really slow? I mean I remember my freshman year in college when t1 lines were new, I could download 500 MB movies in 5 minutes. It hasn't gotten much better since then, and that was in 2000.

Yeah I have one. I got it when it didn't look like Extra Innings was going to be available on digital cable and I couldn't miss this championship season. It's OK. I made the stupid mistake of getting the top of the line HD model which was a ridiculous decision. Of course you're never going to approach HD quality over the internet (at least not anytime soon), so I'd go with the base model. I have it hooked up at my parent's house back in Chicagoland and it often needs to be reset for one reason or another, which is a pain in the ass. Most recently I had to go about 4 months without it since they couldn't fix it themselves and I had to wait until I was home next to do it myself. My hope was I'd be able to hook my computer up to my TV and get a reasonably clear picture, but I never even bothered trying. The picture quality on my computer screen is just passable, of similar quality to the MLB.tv feed. Don't expect too much. It of course depends on your connection speed at both locations, so you may have better luck.

Bottom line, it's a nice product if you get the base model and have ready access to the slingbox yourself (i.e. at your house). Hopefully it works for me this Sunday so I can catch the Bears game.

I just downloaded the software last night. My friend has it.

He is letting me log in and use it to watch the Michigan game tomorrow on his DirecTV. I logged in last night and was playing around with it. It was pretty cool being able to control his TV and DVR from my computer. The PQ was solid at normal screen and pretty good expanded. I'd compare it maybe even favorably to MLB online.

I'll let you know more tomorrow after the game how it worked, but for as cheap as it is, if you travel a lot, I think it is a pretty damned cool deal.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
I've heard of this but not exactly sure how it works, anyone care to explain?

The one I got just hooks into my cable box and router and has a clip type thing that sits on the top and bottom of my comcast box. Then if youre within your wifi range it works on a LAN and if youre somewhere else you can remote watch from anywhere. Ive never used it anywhere but at my house though.

I'm watching the Michigan - Eastern Michigan game on Slingbox right now. The quality is just so-so. I have an upload speed of 1/2 MB so I am not sure how that affects it. When I go full screen, the PQ is grainy unless it is a closeup shot.

Still it is a pretty cool deal. My friend has a DVR, so I can use all of those features as well.