Jeremy Reed Scouting Report

aboz56

.431 OBP, that's really really solid

Jason what do you think about his defensive capabilities?

May not be able to play center full time, but I'd say he could do it. He could play right, but doesn't quite have the arm for it and would be an excellent left fielder.

I'd say his future is in left, especially if Anthony Webster develops as well. He would be a good centerfielder or a great leftfielder. Mediocre right fielder.

The guy is my favorite position player. I love it when guys draw walks as thats a skill that is so tough to teach and its a skill so important at the major league level (Can't ya tell I just finished reading Moneyball, lol).

Reed will be in the show next year, mark my words. He may shock everyone and be the starting centerfielder next year. He's that good, imo.

I got ya down for it.

BTW, i'm in the middle of moneyball. Solid stuff

Ya, after reading it I lost a lot of respect for Billy Beane. I don't really think he's all that great. I think part of what he does is really cool. I like Paul Deposta or however you spell it more.

There's a piece in the back of Sports Weekly concerning moneyball

Says how his philosophy hasn't proven anything, because his whole 2002 draft was based on that, and we won't see those results for a few years. So it doesn't prove as much as some people think.

There's a piece in the back of Sports Weekly concerning moneyball

Says how his philosophy hasn't proven anything, because his whole 2002 draft was based on that, and we won't see those results for a few years. So it doesn't prove as much as some people think.

Thats exactly the way I saw it. Ya his non "scouty" guys are performing now, but I want to see what happens once they reach the majors.

Guys that aren't the best athlete can get by in the minors, but it really takes the best of the best to play at the major league level and you got to be the very best to do it sucessfully.

I also hate the idea that he just takes hitters and could give a damn about everything else.

The coolest part to me is when Paul Deposedta comes up with his stat to show a players worth and how much runs they would score if a team is all full of that one player (Includes defense, etc). Don't want to spoil it since you may not of been to that part. That part really made sense to me.

Reed is shooting up the system.  The guy has a great knack to get on base and in my opinion despite all the hype about Brown (A's system) Reed is a much better prospect.

Brown plays catcher, thus he is much more valuable than Reed. You don't see many catchers with the array of skills Brown has.

Brown plays catcher, thus he is much more valuable than Reed. You don't see many catchers with the array of skills Brown has.

Defensively though, Brown is rather weak. He has gotten into much better shape though, since he was drafted.

Still what a stupid move. He was a 20th round pick or so...if that and you take him in the 1st. If you like him so much take him in the 5th for cripe sake, u know no one else is going to take him by then.

Ya, it's called runs created...my sophomore coach had that stat and i was around 9 runs per game with a lineup full of myself. Probly because i hit for average and stole a ton of bases.

Anyway, what hurts Beane's philosophy is that the heart and soul of his organization lies in his 3 aces, and soon to be 4th - Harden.

I am more than interested to see how the A's progress in the next 3 years.

Ya, it's called runs created...my sophomore coach had that stat and i was around 9 runs per game with a lineup full of myself. Probly because i hit for average and stole a ton of bases.

Anyway, what hurts Beane's philosophy is that the heart and soul of his organization lies in his 3 aces, and soon to be 4th - Harden.

I am more than interested to see how the A's progress in the next 3 years.

I work for the Kane County Cougars, the class A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. Let me tell you something, the A's are going to have solid pitching for many years to come. Harden isn' t the only starting prospect the A's have, but also Shane Komine, Bill Murphy, Joe Blanton, and Drew Dickinson are right there too.

Billy Beane has done a hell of a job drafting pitchers.

CWSOX45

I too read Moneyball and had mixed reactions. Some of their ideas are pretty radical and I am not sure I completely agree with them. The one thing I will say is that their methods have taught me to think a little differently and to not be afraid to look into numbers more, rather than just take them at face value.

One of the most interesting things I found in the book was how much of a meddler Beane is. If people here with the Sox thought KW was bad, my God there is no way he could even come close to Billy Beane! That, and the guy never watches games. He's afraid watching the games will make him too subjective.

Lots of good stuff in the book, but it didn't make me a convert. Hell, it made me realize what a SOB Billy Beane is.

I think a proper mix between number crunching and seeing guys first hand is necessary. I don't think you can afford to put the stop watch and radar gun guys out of work. Some people have a knack for finding players. But like Nick Bakay says, the numbers never lie. Beane is definitely an interesting character and i'm learning a lot of things about him in this book.