GM says Sox have options (Chicago Sports.com article)

sox-r-us

I'm pretty sure you've already done that.

Not sure. I've come close. But in some situations I've changed my mind. We'll see. I just don't see trading a solid starting pitcher for a player who will be a free agent after one year. It seems to contradict Kenny's usual strategy and also seems fairly illogical.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Not sure. I've come close. But in some situations I've changed my mind. We'll see. I just don't see trading a solid starting pitcher for a player who will be a free agent after one year. It seems to contradict Kenny's usual strategy and also seems fairly illogical.

Not that I like the trade either, but said "solid starting pitcher" will also be a free agent after next season. The only illogical thing about it to me was doing it AFTER picking up Uribe's option.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Sure, assuming that Kenny isn't blowing smoke up our arses. I have a really difficult time believing that he'll trade Fields. Dude has really good power, can play 3B, and costs nothing. And what's Crede worth on the FA market right now?

He is. The Angels have hurt his offseason plan big time and there may be more hurt coming.

Bob

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
How could you possibly say that? From what little we've seen from Gomez, how can you tell us definitively that he's going to be any better than Jerry Owens will be? Their body of work up to this point is nearly identical.

Obviously there is the age difference. But you certainly cannot claim the two players cannot be compared because of that.

Gomez has done this body of work mostly as a teenager. He's faster than Owens. He has a much better arm. He's better defensively. He has more power already and is projected to have 20 HR power. He's been consistently touted and ranked in the top 100 prospects in the game. Gomez is compared to Crawford. Owens is compared to Coco Crisp. You can't say 100% that he'll be better but you can't say that about any prospect. Hughes might not be as good as Kip Wells, but that doesn't mean they are comparable.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
Gomez has done this body of work mostly as a teenager. He's faster than Owens. He has a much better arm. He's better defensively. He has more power already and is projected to have 20 HR power. He's been consistently touted and ranked in the top 100 prospects in the game. Gomez is compared to Crawford. Owens is compared to Coco Crisp. You can't say 100% that he'll be better but you can't say that about any prospect. Hughes might not be as good as Kip Wells, but that doesn't mean they are comparable.

No I understand all that. And believe me, I know about all the hype and comparisons, and heck, I am no scout, so what do I know. But what I am saying is that in my opinion (and that may not be good for much), I don't see Carlos Gomez as a 20 hr guy. I know he's young, but he's basically a twig right now. And it could be that he could keep that world class speed even as he bulks up and adds power, but his build just doesn't appear to be one that looks like he'll ever hit for much power.

As for Crawford, he had a far more muscular and athletic build at Gomez's current age than Gomez does.