Arbitration to Crede?

joeynach

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
Are we to assume he was offered arbitration? There's nothing on any transaction trackers that I've seen.

The only thing ChiSox.com has to say is that they were expected to offer him a contract.

This is oddly silent.

However, rotoworld.com seems to act like the Sox made the choice to tender Crede when they non-tendered Gonzalez/Phillips.

White Sox non-tendered infielder Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips.

Joe Crede keeps his spot. The White Sox previously jettisoned two of the their three arbitration-eligible players in Luis Terrero and Alex Cintron. Both Gonzalez and Phillips made their major league debuts last season, with Gonzalez hitting 185/.280/.249 in 189 at-bats. Phillips had already been designated for assignment.

Healthy Crede increases club's options

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

9:21 PM CST, December 13, 2007

With the start of spring training two months away, the prognosis looks encouraging for White Sox third baseman Joe Crede.

Agent Scott Boras said Crede, who is recovering from season-ending back surgery, continues to make positive strides toward a complete recovery.

"As far as I know, Joe is doing quite well," Boras said early Thursday. "He's working out in Missouri, doing all his physical therapy and doing his full complement of exercises.

"He has checked in a few times in Arizona (where physical therapist Brett Fischer supervised his rehabilitation). He also has been checked out by some Chicago doctors."

Crede's health is a major issue as the Sox try to resolve a third-base logjam that includes Josh Fields, who hit 23 home runs in 100 games in his rookie season.

The Sox are likely to trade Crede, 29, who can bring ample value to upgrade their roster while allowing moving Fields back to third from left field.

Boras said he hadn't talked to the White Sox about negotiations regarding Crede, who was tendered a contract before Wednesday night's deadline for arbitration-eligible players.

Looking fit

Closer Bobby Jenks looked fit at Tuesday's holiday event for children at U.S. Cellular Field.

Jenks credited his full-time move from the Seattle area last off-season for enhancing his conditioning.

"Being out here, it keeps me in check and knowing I can't go out or do something crazy without it being in the paper or the fans seeing how big of a jackass I could be," the 6-foot-3-inch, 275-pound Jenks said.

"In that perspective, it makes me understand what I'm doing and why I'm here."

Gearing up

Designated hitter Jim Thome, who was limited to 130 games in 2007 because of a strained rib cage and back spasms, resumed his off-season conditioning after a three-week break when the season ended.

"I'm keeping my weight under control," Thome said. "You don't deal with good weather here, so that's a battle. And just making sure you eat right and do the things you need to do to be ready once Day 1 hits."

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-07...1,5778554.story

I find it odd that there is zero mention of this on the White Sox website.

Edited by Linnwood

Jenks credited his full-time move from the Seattle area last off-season for enhancing his conditioning.

You wouldn't think that someone would lose weight moving from a health-conscious metropolis in the northwest to the world's sausage capital. go figure

Edited by bighurt4life