THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: MARCH 13TH/Seaver vs. Gooden

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: MARCH 13TH

For more, see www.whitesoxalmanac.com

NEW LOOK SOX

1960: The White Sox unveiled new uniforms for 1960 that feature the players’ names above the number. The move was hailed as another innovation by White Sox owner Bill Veeck.

TOM TERRIFIC VS. DOC

1985: A Met great of the past met a Met great of the present in the White Sox 6-0 Grapefruit League victory over the New York Mets at PaynePark in Sarasota, Fla. The White Sox Tom Seaver, making his second start of the spring, was sharp. “Tom Terrific,” who came to the Sox from the Mets before the 1984 season, hurled five shutout frames and gave up just a single to Len Dykstra. “I’ve only seen him on television,” Gooden said of Seaver in press reports of the day. “I’ve never spoken to him. I wouldn’t mind meeting him. I am sure there are some tips he could give me.” Gooden, the reigning National League Rookie of the Year, fashioned three goose-eggs in his spring training debut. The hard-throwing Gooden gave up just singles to Harold Baines and Carlton Fisk. “He has good mechanics and it looks like he has a terrific arm,” Seaver said of Gooden. Both men would go on to have historic seasons. Seaver would win 15 games and notch his 300th win while Gooden would go 24-4 and win the N.L. Cy Young Award.