Pittsburgh's famous Primanti Bros.' sandwiches in Chicago!

joeynach

I go to grad school at the University of Pittsburgh and when I got out there I had never had the famous sandwiches from Primanti Bros. They are really freaking good if you have never had them before. They put the meat, coleslaw, and fries, all on the big french puffy bread...all served hot off the grill. Then I come to realize there is a copycat place, essentially identical right here in Chicago. There is a place in wrigleyville called Lucky's, right on Clark St just a little south of Wrigley. Its seriously identical, menu, food, prices, style, etc. Dont know if this is a patent issue, not sure if you can patent a style of food or method for preparing food, but if you have ever heard of Primanti Bros from Pitt just know that you can find the same thing here in Chicago. 3427 N Clark St.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 01:29 AM)
I go to grad school at the University of Pittsburgh and when I got out there I had never had the famous sandwiches from Primanti Bros. They are really freaking good if you have never had them before. They put the meat, coleslaw, and fries, all on the big french puffy bread...all served hot off the grill. Then I come to realize there is a copycat place, essentially identical right here in Chicago. There is a place in wrigleyville called Lucky's, right on Clark St just a little south of Wrigley. Its seriously identical, menu, food, prices, style, etc. Dont know if this is a patent issue, not sure if you can patent a style of food or method for preparing food, but if you have ever heard of Primanti Bros from Pitt just know that you can find the same thing here in Chicago. 3427 N Clark St.

Were you watching Man Vs. Food tonight too? :D

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 01:29 AM)

Whoa! Dude, thank you very much for sharing that!!! I saw food shows featuring Primanti Bros. and I've always wanted to go there. In fact, I was just talking to a friend about taking a road trip to Pennsylvania for it.

I don't mind going to a place similar right here in Chicago, even if it's at Wrigleyville.

I just saved the address on my phone, and I'm gonna try and go there sometime in the spring or summer on a day off.

Since it's Wriglyville, I just GOTTA wear one of my personalized Sox jerseys, which one should I wear?

The white home jersey?

Grey away?

Or the black alternate jersey?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's the best way to get there? I'm from the south suburbs (Orland Park) and the only train I'm familiar with is the regular metra train that ends at Union Station downtown. I'm not too familiar with the L-train routes, so when I get off the train at Union station, which L-train should I get on? The red line?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 04:53 AM)
Whoa! Dude, thank you very much for sharing that!!! I saw food shows featuring Primanti Bros. and I've always wanted to go there. In fact, I was just talking to a friend about taking a road trip to Pennsylvania for it.

I don't mind going to a place similar right here in Chicago, even if it's at Wrigleyville.

I just saved the address on my phone, and I'm gonna try and go there sometime in the spring or summer on a day off.

Since it's Wriglyville, I just GOTTA wear one of my personalized Sox jerseys, which one should I wear?

The white home jersey?

Grey away?

Or the black alternate jersey?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's the best way to get there? I'm from the south suburbs (Orland Park) and the only train I'm familiar with is the regular metra train that ends at Union Station downtown. I'm not too familiar with the L-train routes, so when I get off the train at Union station, which L-train should I get on? The red line?

Yes walk to state street and get on the Red Line heading north (to howard). Get off at addison station and walk west to clark then make a left on clark and walk south a couple blocks. Should be right there.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah I have and it does totally suck.

My dad is from Pittsburgh and he always used to take me and my brother there when we were kids and I just remembered the hot dogs were burned and they served french fries on a huge tray that would probably kill people if they ate them all.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
The host is a disgusting animal...... but didn't the Bar-B-Q in Memphis look good??? ....and Al's Beef :headbang

I just watched my DVR recording of the one in Memphis. I was salivating over that lol. Al's is probably my 2nd favorite beef next to Portillo's. I thought it was pretty stupid to even try eating that 7.5 pound burger. I'm not sure if any human would be able to eat that within an hour.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
I just watched my DVR recording of the one in Memphis. I was salivating over that lol. Al's is probably my 2nd favorite beef next to Portillo's. I thought it was pretty stupid to even try eating that 7.5 pound burger. I'm not sure if any human would be able to eat that within an hour.

Agreed on Portillo's.

Yeah, that burger was sick.

Didn't it seem like some challenges were a lot easier though. Like the 7 breakfast tacos didn't seem all that tough.

If I was Kobayashi or one of those other competitive eater dudes, I'd do a tour and shatter all those records.

I'm gonna have to check that out... sounds delicious.

I love being a lineman. I have to get a lot bigger for college next year (at about 250 now, shooting for at least 275 by the time summer practices begin), and I have eating all I can eat. Granted, a lot of it is junk, and I have to start eating healthier now that the holidays are almost over. Hopefully with a steady diet of a lot of "clean" food, whey, and the weight room, I can meet my goal.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
Agreed on Portillo's.

Yeah, that burger was sick.

Didn't it seem like some challenges were a lot easier though. Like the 7 breakfast tacos didn't seem all that tough.

If I was Kobayashi or one of those other competitive eater dudes, I'd do a tour and shatter all those records.

Yeah, he had ALL day to finish the breakfast tacos, just couldn't use the washroom. Not hard at all unless you have serious bladder issues, or if you got bad tacos haha.

I agree with what you said about the competitive eaters. That would be cool if Joey Chestnut was the host of Man Vs. Food instead of that Adam clown. While I don't think competitive eating is a sport, it sure is fun to watch.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Yeah, he had ALL day to finish the breakfast tacos, just couldn't use the washroom. Not hard at all unless you have serious bladder issues, or if you got bad tacos haha.

I agree with what you said about the competitive eaters. That would be cool if Joey Chestnut was the host of Man Vs. Food instead of that Adam clown. While I don't think competitive eating is a sport, it sure is fun to watch.

One of those competitive eater guys need to cash in by making a documentary, or a reality show about how they train for that s***.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
One of those competitive eater guys need to cash in by making a documentary, or a reality show about how they train for that s***.

That would be pretty damn awesome. I heard some of them stretch their stomachs by drinking water since it has 0 calories and is cost effective. "A day in the life of Takeru Kobayashi" would make for a great documentary.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
That would be pretty damn awesome. I heard some of them stretch their stomachs by drinking water since it has 0 calories and is cost effective. "A day in the life of Takeru Kobayashi" would make for a great documentary.

They've done a True Life special on it, pretty interesting.