New voting procedure

Big Irish

Starting next season the MLB should make you answer a series of ?s before you can submit your vote. If you don't get enough of them right them you can't submit that vote. This would help eliminate the foreign vote and the jackasses so the people who really deserve get to go. Instead of some guy voting for somone because he charged the mound, "That guy was cool... DUUUHHHH." Really, Hidecki Matsui starting in center? Come on.

I like the idea of player voting, and would be in favor of almost exclusive player voting for the all star game, with the managers only selecting a few spots.

Also, the one guy per team rule has GOT to go, it's a joke. Pirates fans will watch or not watch regardless of whether or not Mike Williams and his 6+ era is in the game.

And if not the players, just have bud selig pick em anyway, i mean, he gets Clemens in there through a bunch of bulls*** and Zito said he was fine! That's terrible.

Starting next season the MLB should make you answer a series of ?s before you can submit your vote. If you don't get enough of them right them you can't submit that vote. This would help eliminate the foreign vote and the jackasses so the people who really deserve get to go. Instead of some guy voting for somone because he charged the mound, "That guy was cool... DUUUHHHH." Really, Hidecki Matsui starting in center? Come on.

What sort of questions? Math? Geography? If that's the case, then the only votes that would count would be the "foreign vote."

As a fan that would be able to answer these questions (as i think 95% of people here would be able to), i think it'd be irritating to answer questions just to vote, and i probly wouldn't bother casting a ballot(s). I don't think i'm alone.

I see your point, and it makes sense, but you can't tell paying customers that they can't vote. That's sending the wrong type of message.

Totally agree. more or less trying to make the point that something needs to be done about the voting. Also people over seas are not paying to go to games. If they come here for one then let them at the game, but entire countries voting for one undeserving player is rediculous.

I also feel they should wait until close to the end of May to even release the ballots. Hlaf the players on there don't even play the position they are on there for. It took Konerko two full seasond at first before they even took Thomas off as the WS FB.

And if not the players, just have bud selig pick em anyway, i mean, he gets Clemens in there through a bunch of bulls*** and Zito said he was fine! That's terrible.

Selig had nothing to do with Zito being replaced. The A's said he couldn't pitch, so MLB said he needed to be replaced. It's no different from when Toronto wanted to keep Halladay from pitching but MLB mandated that he be available to pitch one inning.

Zito not being able to pitch was Oakland's call, not Bud's and not Barry's.

Selig had nothing to do with Zito being replaced.  The A's said he couldn't pitch, so MLB said he needed to be replaced.  It's no different from when Toronto wanted to keep Halladay from pitching but MLB mandated that he be available to pitch one inning. 

You actually believe that? It was totally a front office doing, Zito said he was fine and Selig knows he wants Clemens in the game. I don't buy that it was all the A's call at all, but that's just me. They'll do anything to get Clemens in there and make a dollar. It's supposed to mean something, but Selig promotes it as being an exhibition when he talks about how it's great for Clemens to be in the game.

I do believe that one spot should be held for a player like Clemens who is retiring at the end of the season after a long career.  They just increased the roster by two to 32 players, so why not make one of them a "legacy pick"?

Legacy pick is something that's for an exhibition, which is what the all star game should be....

If it's a game that means something and isn't an exhibition, you can't have all this retiring legacy player open spot bulls***. It contradicts everything that the game has been built up to be.

Selig had nothing to do with Zito being replaced.  The A's said he couldn't pitch, so MLB said he needed to be replaced.  It's no different from when Toronto wanted to keep Halladay from pitching but MLB mandated that he be available to pitch one inning. 

You actually believe that? It was totally a front office doing, Zito said he was fine and Selig knows he wants Clemens in the game. I don't buy that it was all the A's call at all, but that's just me. They'll do anything to get Clemens in there and make a dollar. It's supposed to mean something, but Selig promotes it as being an exhibition when he talks about how it's great for Clemens to be in the game.

He threw 106 pitches Sunday. Would you want the Sox ace throwing on one days' rest after doing that??

Zito could say that he can jump off tall buildings, but that doesn't mean it is what is best for him or the Oakland A's.

Legacy pick is something that's for an exhibition, which is what the all star game should be....

If it's a game that means something and isn't an exhibition, you can't have all this retiring legacy player open spot bulls***. It contradicts everything that the game has been built up to be.

I, for one, think this winner gets home field advantage is BS and hope it does not continue to be that way. The result they are getting is for the game to be taken more seriously and managed differently than it has in recent years. I think they could have accomplished the same things in other ways, but if this is how they think it is best, then so be it.

I think the game should be played hard and played to win. it should be considered an honor to be chosen to the team. I think you can have that very atmohphere, with a legacy player on each side.

He threw 106 pitches Sunday. Would you want the Sox ace throwing on one days' rest after doing that??

Zito could say that he can jump off tall buildings, but that doesn't mean it is what is best for him or the Oakland A's.

I know what he threw. I also knew what came out of his mouth, that he could pitch one inning. And his next start is like saturday anyway.

I, for one, think this winner gets home field advantage is BS and hope it does not continue to be that way. The result they are getting is for the game to be taken more seriously and managed differently than it has in recent years. I think they could have accomplished the same things in other ways, but if this is how they think it is best, then so be it.

I think the game should be played hard and played to win. it should be considered an honor to be chosen to the team. I think you can have that very atmohphere, with a legacy player on each side.

It is BS. But if you are going to establish the fact that this game means something and is serious and put all these parameters on picking teams, you can't include a legendary player or whatever you want to call it. That's the sign of an exhibition, which this what the game is clearly not supposed to be (according to Selig, not me)

I think that home field advantage is a little extreme. They should have just informed each manager that they are going to play the game out so there is no tie. That was the problem last year. If the managers would've just manged the game carefully and knew that the game wouldn't end in a tie there wouldn't be this problem. Who cares if one or two pitchers don't get to play, being named an All-Star should be enough of an honor. An exhibition game should be just that, nothing more.

I think that home field advantage is a little extreme.  They should have just informed each manager that they are going to play the game out so there is no tie.  That was the problem last year.  If the managers would've just manged the game carefully and knew that the game wouldn't end in a tie there wouldn't be this problem.  Who cares if one or two pitchers don't get to play, being named an All-Star should be enough of an honor.  An exhibition game should be just that, nothing more.

An exhibition game doesn't need a winner. Who gives two s***s if the AL or NL wins? I was perfectly satisfied with the game last year, and a winner wouldn't have increased my satisfaction level at all. It was an exhibition so it was great to see everyone play. Saw good baseball, entertainment for a few hours, and all was well. Who cares if it was a tie? Makes zero difference in the overall realm of things.Hell, i can't even tell you who won the past 5 all star games, and i watched all of them in their entirity. Who freakin cares

And home field advantage is extreme? Well considering the alternative has been a rotating basis, i would say a rotating basis is not a good way to decide home field advantage. Not that the all star game is at all....no way. Use best record, and if you don't want that, i guess you could use interleague records between the leagues. That way you aren't changing exhibition games into anything special and the league that is actually "better" gets the home field advantage.

My idea would be to eliminate online fan-voting. This way, only the fans that actually go out to the ballpark and spends money on their team gets to have a say. This would most likely put an end to foreign fan ballot-stuffing since they wont be in the ballparks and hopefully would cut down on the ballot-stuffing from casual fans.

Guest hotsoxchick1

why not just take the guys with the best records up to that point in the season..... those are the guys who really deserve to go anyhow........ ;)