Airplane Power Outlets

LittleHurt05

I have seen on numerous airplanes that have signs stating DC power outlet under seat. I will be doing a lot of flying next month, and I was looking into purchasing an adapter/converter so I can plug in my DVD player/iPod so I can use them for flights across the ocean. Anybody have any recommendations on what kind of adapters may be good? It wont be for a laptop so it doesnt need to be too powerful. More importantly, where exactly are these outlets located on the seat? Is it under the seat or somewhere else? Thanks for the help.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
I have seen on numerous airplanes that have signs stating DC power outlet under seat. I will be doing a lot of flying next month, and I was looking into purchasing an adapter/converter so I can plug in my DVD player/iPod so I can use them for flights across the ocean. Anybody have any recommendations on what kind of adapters may be good? It wont be for a laptop so it doesnt need to be too powerful. More importantly, where exactly are these outlets located on the seat? Is it under the seat or somewhere else? Thanks for the help.

There are multiple types. But I have an airplane adapter for my laptop, its basically a cigarette lighter style thing, and it works on American and some others.

Just bear in mind, few airlines have them on domestic flights, even fewer in coach, and even then only certain rows.

So, I will give you the keys to one of the great tools for regular air travelers: www.seatguru.com. You can look at whatever plane on whatever airline you are flying, and it gives you all the info on each seat on the plane - which ones have power, which have more or less leg room, everything. Use it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
There are multiple types. But I have an airplane adapter for my laptop, its basically a cigarette lighter style thing, and it works on American and some others.

Just bear in mind, few airlines have them on domestic flights, even fewer in coach, and even then only certain rows.

So, I will give you the keys to one of the great tools for regular air travelers: www.seatguru.com. You can look at whatever plane on whatever airline you are flying, and it gives you all the info on each seat on the plane - which ones have power, which have more or less leg room, everything. Use it.

Wow, that website is something else. Unfortunately, it shows that the Boeings Qantas flies from the US have ZERO power outlets in economy, so no luck for me. Its better to find out now though, then to be looking for a non-existent one on the plane. Thanks for that website, great stuff.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Wow, that website is something else. Unfortunately, it shows that the Boeings Qantas flies from the US have ZERO power outlets in economy, so no luck for me. Its better to find out now though, then to be looking for a non-existent one on the plane. Thanks for that website, great stuff.

I've flown Qantas between LAX and Auckland, and indeed, no power.

Also, the seats in coach are really tight, especially for a long overseas flight (trans-ocean runs typically used to have a couple extra inches of leg room). If you are a tall guy, its bad. I'd use that seat map to try to select some good seats.