Anthony Sanders Released

Chisoxfn

Anthony Sanders Released

By Jason Gage

July 18, 2003

FutureSox.com

Outfielder Anthony Sanders was released by the Charlotte Knights on Friday. Sanders, 29, was hitting .229 with 10 homers and 40 RBI.

Sanders has played parts of three seasons in the majors with the Seattle Mariners (2) and Toronto Blue Jays (1). In his thirteen major league games Sanders had 6 hits in twenty five at bats.

Sanders was originally drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the seventh round of the 1992 amateur draft. He hit a career high 26 homers in 1997 for Knoxville (AA).

The White Sox signed Sanders in the middle of last season and sent him to Charlotte. Last season with the Knights he hit .232 with 6 HR, and 24 RBI. He spent the first half of the 2002 season with Louisville (AAA). Sanders was invited to spring training with the Sox this season.

He looked like a real good athlete when I saw him play in spring training. I remember b*tching to Mario when they brought him in and I was complaining about how useless it was playing a guy like him whose never going to play in the majors again.

I was hoping to see Borchard play the whole game or see someone like Harris or someone else in the game over Sanders. Then the two games i saw him play he ripped the ball and played good defense.

I wish him the best of luck and if he decides to keep playing (I'm assuming he is still holding onto his dream) then I hope he gets another offer and can find lightening in a bottle and make it back up.