NEW OZZIE GUILLEN COLUMN ON ORGULLOSOX.COM/NUEVA COLUMNA DE OZZIE GUIL

SoxComms

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, May 18, 2009

NEW OZZIE GUILLEN COLUMN ON ORGULLOSOX.COM

CHICAGO – A new column by Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen posted today on orgullosox.com/ozzie (the White Sox Spanish-language website). An English version of the column also is available on the same site.

The bi-weekly column is used as a forum for the White Sox manager to communicate thoughts regarding on and off-the-field topics and also field fan questions submitted on the website. New columns post every other Monday on orgullosox.com.

The Spanish-language website, accessible to all Internet users, allows fans to maneuver between the English version of the site (whitesox.com) and back. Currently featured on orgullosox.com are: new and exclusive video updates, team news, Spanish broadcast details, ticket information and information on community programs.

-30-

© 2009 Chicago White Sox

------------------------

PARA PUBLICACIÓN INMEDIATA: lunes, 18 de mayo de 2009

NUEVA COLUMNA DE OZZIE GUILLEN EN ORGULLOSOX.COM

CHICAGO – Una nueva columna por Ozzie Guillen, el piloto de los Chicago White Sox, esta disponible hoy en orgullosox.com/ozzie – el sitio web en español de los White Sox. Una versión en ingles también esta en la misma pagina.

La columna quincenal es un foro para el dirigente del equipo para comunicar sus opiniones acerca de una variedad de temas dentro y fuera del terreno, y también contestar preguntas que los fanáticos envíen a través del sitio web. Nuevas columnas se agregan cada dos lunes en orgullosox.com.

El sitio en español está accesible a todos los usuarios de Internet y les permite a los fanáticos moverse entre las versiones en español e inglés (whitesox.com) del sitio. En estos momentos se puede ver lo siguiente en orgullosox.com: videos nuevos y exclusivos, noticias sobre el equipo, detalles sobre la programación en español, información sobre la compra de boletos y programas comunitarios.

-30-

© 2009 Chicago White Sox

By Ozzie Guillen

First off, I would like to thank everyone who took a few minutes of their time to send me their questions, opinions, congratulations and criticisms through this page. I am sure that this exchange between you and me will be very productive. In this second column I will respond to a couple of questions that were sent my way. I will also respond to a couple of comments that were made about the team, which, truthfully, is going through a tough time.

I am still optimistic, as are my players, and I think that at any moment now we will combine good pitching, with timely hitting and solid defense, to get back on track. Up until now that hasn't happened with the consistency we would like. Miguel Monges asks if it is possible to be able to finish in first place even though we have started the season with so many injuries. It's true Miguel, that when we put a team together in Spring Training, the last thing we think of is losing so many key pieces due to injury. In 2004, my first year as manager, we lost our third and fourth spot hitters because of injuries in the middle of season and that ended any dreams we had of the postseason. It wasn't impossible, but it was really hard to score runs without Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas in the lineup. That's why I always say one of the most important things is to stay healthy, especially because of the 162-game schedule we play.

Luis Angel Rodriguez asks that I keep a consistent lineup "as much as possible!" You are right Angel, that is the best scenario, but it's not always possible because of injuries and the rest that some players that play almost every day need to get. When you have the goal of winning the World Series, you know that that effort will require an additional 11 wins in October, and it's impossible to reach that goal without your key players in good condition and that means giving them a break from time to time. Additionally, losing your leadoff hitter because of injury during the first week of the season has forced us to experiment with different things in order to get each player in a spot where they will be productive. It hasn't been easy, but I am confident that we will have a set lineup soon.

Fernando Bosch, Rafael Castro and Sergio Villareal are just some of you that have asked about Jose Contreras. Honestly, I have to tip my cap to him for his professionalism. If before I respected him as a player because of his work ethic and enthusiasm, now I admire and respect him even more after the way he has handled the start of the season. Nobody thought that he would be ready before July or August, but he arrived in Arizona in great shape. Perhaps his rehab wasn't complete and we rushed in getting him back in the starting rotation. It was his own idea to go down to the minors to work on his mechanics and that is admirable and worth my respect. Anyone else might have stayed at home enjoying his guaranteed money. Contreras went to Charlotte to work because he wants to come back and help his team. I am sure that will happen, too.

Cristóbal Silva reminds me that we need a consistent leadoff hitter that doesn't get hurt. It's true Cristobal, and if you know where to find one, let me know and we'll pick him up tomorrow!

Juan Moreno asks how I am going to get the White Sox to play my style if we have a team of sluggers. This season we added some speed to the lineup with players like Dewayne Wise and Chris Getz to add to Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin in order to let make us more aggressive on the base paths. Also, Josh Fields will add youth and power. Up until now, the injuries and low production hasn't let us be more aggressive, but I am confident that we will be able to add the youth to the power and experience of players like Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski and score some runs.

Smery Cortez and Carmelo Salazar have asked if Freddy Garcia is in our plans. A healthy Freddy Garcia, without a doubt, can help us a lot; I know better than most of his talent and what his is capable of doing in big games. Unfortunately, Freddy hasn't been able to get the effectiveness back in his pitches because of injuries to his shoulder. I know that he is working hard and, personally, I hope he can soon get back to form because we are also great friends. The ultimate decision of his signing, though, would be the responsibility of our GM, Kenny Williams.

I'd also like to respond to Martin Quintero, who says 'he has heard' that my son was signed by the White Sox without being a good player, because I forced the team to do it, and that because of that we didn't sign better players.

Martin, if you believe everything you hear you will end up going crazy. First off, I can say, that despite my excellent relationship with Jerry Reinsdorf, I don't have the power to impose my wishes on this organization. My job has nothing to do with signing players.

Oney Robert, the son you are referring to, was signed in the 36th round of the 2007 draft because there were people in this organization that thought he had enough talent to be a professional baseball player, and I assure you that he didn't take anyone else's spot. As a father, I supported him just like any father would. It wasn't going to be me that squashed his aspirations of being a Major League Baseball player, especially for a person who has been surrounded his whole life by baseball and the Majors. He was born in January of 1986, a few weeks after I was awarded the 1985 American League Rookie of the Year Award. He decided this year to let go of his dreams of being a Major Leaguer, but his talents now are being put to work in an office job. I think his two years as a professional baseball player was a good experience and that it will help him grow as a person.

I would love to have unlimited time and space to keep answering questions, but there are way too many of them. A couple questions that don't have anything directly to do with me will be addressed by someone in the White Sox organization. Paul LaReau asks if there are White Sox signs and photos available for him to decorate his high school classroom in Indiana, Mavel Zubia wants to know about White Sox training clinics, Francisco Eduardo Arvayo inquired about if we are planning on playing in Hermosillo, Mexico again.

Several of you also sent congratulations and good wishes which I have taken to heart. Keep writing, because I do my best to respond to all the questions. And again, thanks for your support.