Important message for Pet Owners

DABearSoX

Our new dog of 3 weeks Brewskie passed yesterday after getting her collar stuck on the dog run fence trying to get out. Brewskie delt with a severe case of separation anxiety. We were working with her everyday to over come this issue. We were making progress and had her up to 30 minutes in her crate alone. For the few hours she still had to be alone while we both worked we kept her in the dog run out back. She was fine all of last week when we did this. However yesterday her fabric belt style collar got caught on the 5 1/2 foot fence when she was trying to jump it. Hopefully it broke her neck rather then her having to go through a struggle.

The strangest thing is that a friend was over the night before and told us "Make sure you take that choke collar off whenever you leave her alone" he had had a dog strangle itself in a crate with a choke collar.

However it was her normal collar with her tags that I should have also taken off...

In light of this tragic event I would like to stress that pet owners should purchase break-away collars. Even for a perfectly behaved dog there is a possibility of those collars getting stuck somewhere. I don't know why we didn't think to get one for Brewskie b/c our cat Olive has had one since the day she was born.

I can somewhat relate to this since I have a 2 month old puppy myself. I made sure that if I have the collar on the puppy (when unsupervised) that I would always leave the leash on and have that leash locked in the middle of an open area in my backyard. There is no risk there and it gives the puppy a sense of where it’s “spot” is when heading outside.

Of course, puppies need to see things coming as a repetitive set of duties practiced on a daily basis since they are still strangers to this fascinating world, in their eyes at least. Be sure to check your puppy’s collar weekly and increase the size as it grows. And believe me, these little fellows grow in a blink of an eye.