Runners Thread

maggsmaggs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^greasy, I don't really have a true training program. I joined a running team through Dick Pond's Athletics and I have been running with them a few times a week. There are people of every speed so there's always someone to run with. Tuesdays are speed workouts on the Benet Academy track, Thursdays are a four mile run through a neighborhood, Saturdays are long run. On top of that, I run on my own a lot and I swim a few days a week. Next year I plan on doing a half-Ironman so I will need to get a true training program.

I ran the Sundowner 5k in Joliet last night in ~19:35. I am happy with the result although I never really felt comfortable in the race. It is definitely different running a race on a weeknight.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
^greasy, I don't really have a true training program. I joined a running team through Dick Pond's Athletics and I have been running with them a few times a week. There are people of every speed so there's always someone to run with. Tuesdays are speed workouts on the Benet Academy track, Thursdays are a four mile run through a neighborhood, Saturdays are long run. On top of that, I run on my own a lot and I swim a few days a week. Next year I plan on doing a half-Ironman so I will need to get a true training program.

I ran the Sundowner 5k in Joliet last night in ~19:35. I am happy with the result although I never really felt comfortable in the race. It is definitely different running a race on a weeknight.

I injured my foot two weeks back, so I started up swimming to keep me in shape while I was off running. Started back today and felt pretty good, running a five miler in 35 minutes. Trying to be back in shape so I can go sub-1:30 again in a half marathon on Aug. 1. Ironmans are so ridiculous. I would have to work my ass off swimming b/c I truly suck at it. Can't breath well, bad form and can't go more than a couple laps without needing a break. You Tri-guys are sick.

PS How do you like the running group? I am curious to join one but not sure if there are any good ones around Evanston.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
I injured my foot two weeks back, so I started up swimming to keep me in shape while I was off running. Started back today and felt pretty good, running a five miler in 35 minutes. Trying to be back in shape so I can go sub-1:30 again in a half marathon on Aug. 1. Ironmans are so ridiculous. I would have to work my ass off swimming b/c I truly suck at it. Can't breath well, bad form and can't go more than a couple laps without needing a break. You Tri-guys are sick.

PS How do you like the running group? I am curious to join one but not sure if there are any good ones around Evanston.

I would recommend keeping swimming in your training. You'll be surprised with how accelerated your improvement will be because you already have a solid base. Don't be discouraged, it'll get better.

I am a big fan of being part of a running group. It helps to keep a set schedule even if you're not in the mood to run that day. Holds you accountable as part of the group. There is also a lot of encouragement throughout the group which makes tough days slightly more bearable. The group has helped my running by leaps and bounds.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
What weight did you start at?

230 :lol: The heaviest I've ever been was 235 over the winter, but I'm also 6'6. I've been losing weight slowly since the spring and toning up a littler, but now I'm really going to step it up.

I'm down 3 pounds already in the last few days. Had an awesome workout today. Got a hookup with a free personal trainer once a week for the rest of the summer too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
230 :lol: The heaviest I've ever been was 235 over the winter, but I'm also 6'6. I've been losing weight slowly since the spring and toning up a littler, but now I'm really going to step it up.

I'm down 3 pounds already in the last few days. Had an awesome workout today. Got a hookup with a free personal trainer once a week for the rest of the summer too.

I was going to say, if your started at 250 it'd be a terrific job but if you started at 215, you'd be going the opposite way haha.

I am also trying to lose some weight. I'm down roughly 10-15 pounds since I started working out heavy in March. I have a really hard time with pizza and donuts though. You'll have to keep us updated.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
I was going to say, if your started at 250 it'd be a terrific job but if you started at 215, you'd be going the opposite way haha.

I am also trying to lose some weight. I'm down roughly 10-15 pounds since I started working out heavy in March. I have a really hard time with pizza and donuts though. You'll have to keep us updated.

Mine is cookies and ice cream. If those don't didn't exist, I would be so much better with my eating habits.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)

I got hooked up with a free personal trainer 3 days a week, which is huge. She knows me well and she told me she's going to whoop me into shape again, which is awesome.

Here's the program I'm going to be trying to stick to:

strength training 3 days a week with personal trainer

hard cardio 3 days a week running, swimming, boxing, etc.

1 rest day a week where I'll still probably do golf or basketball

I'm down 3 pounds since I started. Next weigh-in is tomorrow.

And pizza is my greatest weakness too. I can say no to just about anything but pizza is REALLY hard for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my longest personal run to wrap-up week 10 of training yesterday--17 miles. I was incredibly nervous before/during the run--causing me to go at a much more moderate pace than I typically do, but it went off very well.

I'm excited about the 18 miler scheduled next week--I'm looking to go a little harder and finish it in comparable time to what I did the 17 miler in.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Had my longest personal run to wrap-up week 10 of training yesterday--17 miles. I was incredibly nervous before/during the run--causing me to go at a much more moderate pace than I typically do, but it went off very well.

I'm excited about the 18 miler scheduled next week--I'm looking to go a little harder and finish it in comparable time to what I did the 17 miler in.

What time did you run today? This weather makes training brutal.

Sorry for the ridiculously late response. Work has me traveling a lot lately, and I don't feel comfortable logging on to sites with my work computer.

I started that run @ 4 AM. I have an 18 miler scheduled for tomorrow, but I think I'm going to flip my weekend with the storms tonight/tomorrow. Sunday's weather actually looks really nice.

Hopefully we're past most of the beastly humidity we've had the majority of this summer.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 28, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Good luck, Steve!

I definitely want to do a tri in the future.

Hope everyone's marathon training is going well! Looking forward to next weekend, as I have a 10K, which is my first race since the RNR Half.

It was my first oly distance tri and let me tell you, it was one hot day. There was nothing fun about the race today. I finished though haha, so yay me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
15 days.

Bested my Indy-Mini PR by almost 2.5 minutes, finishing a half in my hometown this morning at 1:32:15. Tapertastic.

Got you by a smidge! Ran a 1:32:12 at the Detroit half on October 17th. I was sub-7s through twelve miles but I fell apart on the last mile. I just didn't have it in my legs after the Chicago Marathon the weekend before.

Greasy, whats your racing schedule look like? Mine is:

The Mid-Land Half Marathon (13.1): 11/13/10 Midland MI

Martian Invasion of Races 2011 (26.2): 4/02/11 Dearborn MI

Bayshore Marathon (26.2): 5/28/11 Traverse City MI

Midland Community Center's Dow RunWalk (10k): 6/04/11 Midland MI

Charlevoix Marathon: 6/25/11 Charlevoix MI (tentatively)

Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead: 8/14/11 Benton Harbor MI

Chicago Marathon (26.2): 10/11/11 Chicago IL (fun run, going to help my little sister through her first marathon)

Some shorter races and tris thrown in too.

Very impressive slate, Steve. This is all in pencil, being that most of the events I'm considering don't have official dates yet. I have run most of these before and kind of expect them to become annuals for me, if they're not already.

I will definitely be doing a spring marathon though, as I was insanely disappointed with how I ended up faring at the Chicago Marathon. I ran it too much like a rookie and didn't slow down from my initial blazing pace, causing a lot of cramping, pain, etc. I did too well in my training and in the races, leading up to the marathon, for how bad my time was. So I'm definitely looking forward to the early opportunity at redemption.

Halloween Hustle (5K): 10/30/10 Palatine, IL

Shamrock Shuffle (8K): 03/2011 Chicago, IL

IU-Mini Marathon (13.1): 04/2011 Bloomington, IN

Walter Payton Run (15K): Spring 2011 Chicago, IL

Wisconsin Marathon (26.2): 05/07/11 Kenosha, WI

Wauconda Fest (10K): 06/2011 Wauconda, IL

Race for Young Life (5K): 07/2011 Palatine, IL

Rock 'N' Roll Chicago Half Marathon (13.1): 08/21/11 Chicago, IL

Crystal Lake Half Marathon (13.1): 09/2011 Crystal Lake, IL

Chicago Marathon (26.2): 10/11/11 Chicago, IL